Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kocher
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kristian Kocher

DNS problem with SureBackup

Post by kocher »

Hi,

I have some trouble testing my backups with SureBackup. My problem is that the DNS servers are not virtual machines. They are on physical machines, so I can not run them in the isolated network during SureBackup job.

So my question is: is there a way to reconfigure the virtual appliance to route DNS requests to the production network.

Has anybody encountered a similar problem? Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks,

Kristian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: DNS problem with SureBackup

Post by Gostev »

Hi Kristian, there is no communication whatsoever allowed from virtual lab environment into production environment (for safety reasons). The only exception is proxy (for internet access from withing virtual lab), but even that is disabled by default. Why are you keeping all your DNS server physical? Did you consider deploying secondary DNS server in a VM? Thanks.
JZTOR
Service Provider
Full Name: Joseph Zinguer

Post by JZTOR »

Hi Kristian,
The additional DC, GC, DNS virtual server could help you in many ways:
- Help with sure backup
- Reliable backup/restore procedure for AD
- Option to restore deleted objects
- Advanced GPO testing
And much more.
Thanks.
kocher
Influencer

Post by kocher »

Ok, thanks. I'll see about installing a new DNS server.

Concerning the restoration of application objects, are there any chances we might see some improvement for linux based servers?

Thanks,

Kristian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Kristian, would you like to create new topic about Linux AIR part (since this is unrelated to the above discussion), and explain there what improvements exactly do you think are required? Thanks.
kocher
Influencer

Post by kocher »

I didn't intend to start a whole topic.
I noticed that there is a lot of work done for microsoft products (in application item restoration, but also in surebackup), including support for hyper V, but almost nothing is done for better integration of other products like for example mysql, postgresql, ldap, bind, ...
So I was wondering if this was something we could expect in a future release or if I should start writing scripts :-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In fact, these apps are easiest to perform AIR from... no need for scripts, works out of box. We have demos for Oracle and MySQL running on Linux here, demo for MySQL is in Session #3, and demo for Oracle is in Oracle session.