Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
regi
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Regi Pradeeswaran

Case # 04681927 - Install/Remove CDP filter on vSphere cluster

Post by regi »

Hi

In V11 when you install I/O Filters on your cluster, What does Veeam do ?

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... 47C9A.html

I can see the veecdp vib is installed

veecdp 11.0.358-1OEM.700.1.0.15843807 VEE VMwareAccepted 2021-03-04

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... B0B97.html

I have installed this but want to uninstall (Seems all ok but looks like a reboot is needed on the ESX hosts ?) so another Veeam server can manage the CDP policy's etc...

But on my VCSA it says Host cannot be put into maintenance mode to complete VIB installation

Need a bit more info pls
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Case # 04681927 - Install/Remove CDP filter on vSphere cluster

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I completely get your question, can you elaborate on what particular information regarding I/O deployment you're looking for? Specific commands we use, specific actions we take, etc.? Thanks!
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

hi I have a test VBR server which installed the I/O VIB's on my live cluster but I need to change this to my live VBR server
Which means below which is not ideal now to do on my live cluster

Make sure that you have suspended or powered off all VMs on clusters from which you want to remove the filter
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I'm asking since the VIB's are installed by test VBR server is there a way this can be modified to the live VBR server ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I'm asking since the VIB's are installed by test VBR server is there a way this can be modified to the live VBR server?
Sure, you need to:

- add the same virtual infrastructure to the live VBR server
- right-click on the vCenter server in the Inventory view
- select Manage I/O filters
- on the first page you will see all clusters that are managed by the vCenter server
- the one with I/O filter already installed will have "I/O filter is managed by another backup server" as its status
- select it
- click Next

After that, live backup server will re-register I/O filter to itself and become responsible for filter management.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

the one with I/O filter already installed will have "I/O filter is managed by another backup server" as its status
This is how it looks like:

regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

Hi Thanks I have tried it but getting this ?

Code: Select all

08/03/2021 14:05:19 Error    Resolving CDP components installation errors for cluster LIVE-Cluster Error: Cannot complete the operation. See the event log for details. (Failed to resolve installation issues on the cluster.) Cannot complete the operation. See the event log for details. (Failed to resolve installation issues on the cluster.)

08/03/2021 14:05:19 Error    Failed to put host xxx01-04 into the maintenance mode. Please perform this operation manually using the vSphere Web Client and try again.
Help pls
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Seems like backup server fails to put the said host into maintenance mode automatically, and you need to that manually before continuing. But keep working with the support team, there might be something else we're missing. Thanks!
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

To resolve this issue:
We still need to put the ESXi hosts in maintenance mode. You may try to make the operation less painful if you migrate all VMs from one host to another, put it in maintenance mode and run the filter installation in Veeam. The installation should fail on the live host, but pass on the one in the maintenance mode. Then you can repeat the same procedure for the other hosts.

A big thanks to Dmitry Bobylev. Keep up the good work
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

regi wrote: Mar 10, 2021 6:00 pmYou may try to make the operation less painful if you migrate all VMs from one host to another, put it in maintenance mode and run the filter installation in Veeam.
This is what we're doing actually: vSphere is supposed to do the VM migration automatically upon our request to put host into the maintenance mode. And I don't remember every seeing reports of this operation failing. Checking with the devs now...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, the dev lead already confirmed this is how it is supposed to work normally. So perhaps something is off in your vSphere infrastructure that prevents this.
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

Thanks Gostev

That's not always the case. Like I have a HPE VSA VM running on each hosts with local DS. Can't migrate this. Normal procedure is after migrating all VM's VSA needs to be shutdown using HPE CMC app & you have to put the host in maintenance mode. Yes you are correct it's ok for simple clusters but for complex clusters it's better to include some additional info. But all are good. Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I just got another, more important follow up from him: he checked the source code and installing the bundle does NOT require placing a host into the maintenance mode in principle, only uninstalling does. So something is really off there, I will share a support case ID with him so he could take a look at the logs himself.
regi
Enthusiast

Post by regi »

Yes you are correct. Installing is fine for me but I'm re-registering the same I/O filters to another VBR serer in this case yes maintenance mode is needed (I'm assuming when you uninstall the I/O filters you will maintenance mode as well ?)

What about say when you bring out a new version of I/O filter & want to upgrade the current ? I'm guessing maintenance mode is needed as well ?