Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dialpaul
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Maldonato

Upgrading from ver9.5 to 11

Post by dialpaul »

I was working on upgrading my community edition of Veeam and found out it's only version 9.5 so I don't have an option to upgrade to ver11. Is there a way to do this? I have backups I need on this machine. If I need to upgrade to 9.5b I would, but I don't have the install packages. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Upgrading from ver9.5 to 11

Post by wishr »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

You can find the earlier VBR versions here.

Thanks
dialpaul
Novice

Post by dialpaul »

So I found a post that stated that you have to remove the old version and install the newer one. The database components would stay intact I now get this message when trying to install 9.5b version: Unable to use database because it was created with a later version of veeam backup and replication. I'm downloading version 10 and will see if that works. I'd prefer not to lose my existing backups. Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

At this point, since it's unclear what was done, I would recommend opening a support case. In the worst-case scenario, you will be able to restore the configuration from the configuration backup, but only to the server being backward compatible with the configuration backup taken using an earlier VBR version, then continue upgrading your servers.

You cannot connect a later version to the database created by an earlier version if this "later" version does not support an upgrade from "previous", and should instead follow a common step-by-step upgrade procedure. If the latest version does not allow an upgrade from your current version, simply upgrade to a version that allows upgrading to the latest one first.

Hope it helps!
dialpaul
Novice

Post by dialpaul »

So I got it updated to version 10 and my backup jobs are still in tact. I will let them run tonight to make sure they're working on their schedule and upgrade to version 11 tomorrow.
dialpaul
Novice

Post by dialpaul »

Unfortunately it's community edition and there's no support. Fingers crossed I got it worked out. Thanks for the download link and quick replies. Much appreciated.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Could you please let us know what version you had in the beginning (including the version of the update, if present) and what sequence of actions you performed? I'm a bit afraid you deployed fresh v10 and connected it to the database of v9.5... If this is the case, issues are expected. The correct way would have been, depending on the version you had initially:
  • 9.5U2-->9.5U4b-->11
  • 9.5U3-->10a-->11
Regarding the community edition - there is a technical support service for users running free Veeam products, that is provided on the "best-effort" basis, meaning our engineers will prioritize your case depending on their availability.
dialpaul
Novice

Post by dialpaul »

I started with version 9.5 not sure of the exact update, but it wasn't .4 yet which is why the initial v11 install wouldn't work. Good to know about the support. Could you supply me with a link to that page? It might come in handy.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

dialpaul
Novice

Post by dialpaul » 1 person likes this post

I guess I'll find out in the morning if my backups are working. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again for all the links & info.
FrenchBlue
Expert
Liked: 19 times

Post by FrenchBlue »

If things go real bad, I confirm that importing a 9.5 configuration backup to a freshly installed V11 does work, i had to do it for one of my upgrades.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hello,

Note, that you can only import configuration backup from a compatible version (bullet #3). So if you are running something lower than 9.5U4b it will not work when importing configuration backup to a fresh v11, as I mentioned initially.

The only workaround, in this case, would be: install the same version as you had initially or any other version that supports restoring configuration backups created in your "initial" version (you need to know what version it was, though), restore the configuration, and once done start upgrading it step-by-step. I would strongly suggest involving technical support if things go that bad.

Thanks