Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jkcouch
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Couch

Preping for New Jobs in v6, Expire old backups in v5

Post by jkcouch »

I am looking for a good strategy on expiring my old backups in v5 once I have moved my backups to a newly created v6 environment.

The current plan is to keep the target the same (data domain 860 via cifs). But with a 30 day retention policy, is there a good way to let the jobs in v5 still run, and expire/cleanup the old backups without actually doing a backup of the VM? We probably won’t have enough space on the DD for 30 days of backups on both V5 and V6 and I’m being asked not to go below a full 30 days’ worth of backups at any given time. :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: Preping for New Jobs in v6, Expire old backups in v5

Post by Gostev »

jkcouch wrote:is there a good way to let the jobs in v5 still run, and expire/cleanup the old backups without actually doing a backup of the VM
No, this is definitely impossible as cleanup is only done after successful backup.
jkcouch
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Couch

Post by jkcouch »

Ok Thanks. So how does the cleanup process work for deleted VMs? How does veeam know its deleted?

My thought is that I could leave one VM in the job so it will still run, and remove the rest from the job. I assume this wont work either, but its worth asking.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

jkcouch wrote:I could leave one VM in the job so it will still run, and remove the rest from the job
This would work if you are using regular incremental backup mode (default). Your older backup files will be gradually removed according to retention, as soon as deleted VM retention period expires for each VM that is no longer backed up.