Agentless, cloud-native backup for Google Cloud
ndymond
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nick Dymond

Disk Exclusions?

Post by ndymond »

Hello, Veeamer's!!

I have the Veeam Backup for GCP infrastructure working well now, but am finding that I am backing up a LOT of unnecessary data (log drives, temp/cache drives, etc.) from my instances.. Costs for the data retention are inevitably higher because of these drives being backed up...

The Backup and Replication Suite has an exclusion "feature". Is there a way to exclude specific disks from an Instance within a GCP policy?? Or a way to specify only the boot disk, if required?

If not, this is an invaluable feature that should be part of a future release, IMO.

Thanks!
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Disk Exclusions?

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Hello, Nick!

Good to hear that you have Veeam Backup for GCP up and running well. Fully understand your request to exclude certain disks from backups - as you say, Veeam B&R has this feature and in fact it's also available in Veeam's other cloud-native backup products for AWS and Azure.

At the moment in VB for GCP 1.0 we can exclude disks when restoring - but not when backing up. However we definitely intend to add this capability! I can't promise a specific version or timeframe, however I can say that here in R&D we are working hard on Veeam Backup for GCP - watch for some interesting updates coming this year :D

Thanks for the feedback!
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
ndymond
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nick Dymond

Post by ndymond »

Thank you for the quick response, Alec!

Good to know that this capability is in the pipeline for a future release and that I just wasn't missing a checkbox somewhere.

Thanks again!
heat_fan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoph Kienzler

Post by heat_fan »

Hello Alec,

i have the same issue and wonder if there is any update to this topic?

Thanks

Christoph