Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

V6 Proxy Selection methodology

Post by topry »

Is there a way to set the proxy selection order?
The order selected by the automatic process seems to give preference to standalone over virtual, regardless of the system capability (CPU type, RAM, load) and for VM's it seems to choose the Veeam system over any other VM's.

I am currently testing with 3 proxies. Veeam VM, a 2008R2 VM that has nothing on it but the proxy and an external Win7 x64 legacy system with a single dual core. (both 2008 systems are 4 core- going to 8 when host is upgraded to VSphere5)

Ideally, I would like to be order to set a preference order - or at minimum have it select via some known method that I can manage.

If I manually set the proxy, the dedicated 2008 VM is fastest, the Veeam VM about 15% slower (as expected) and the standalone is about 35% slower than then dedicated 2008 VM. With automatic selection, Veeam is choosing external, Veeam VM, dedicated VM - the reverse of my performance and preference.

The downside to setting my jobs to manual is of course the lack of redundancy.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: V6 Proxy Selection methodology

Post by Gostev »

There is no way to affect this, all proxies in each data access type groups are considered equal. External host is chosen first because it has direct SAN access capabilities, which is preferred over hot add as per selection algorithm. This is described in more details in sticky FAQ. Thanks!
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Re: V6 Proxy Selection methodology

Post by topry »

Ok, thanks - then please consider this as a feature request for the future <g>