Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
stede
Novice
Liked: never

Backup MS Failover Cluster Database

Post by stede »

Hello,

we have the need to backup and restore the CLUSDB of Microsoft Failover Clusters.

Description:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... -using-vss
https://www.altaro.com/backup-dr/clusdb ... -recovery/

At the moment we are backing up the system state using Microsoft DPM.
With this solution we are able to rstore the CLUSDB in a consistent way.

Using Veeam (Hyper-V or Veeam Agent for Windows) I can restore the CLUSDB file but it is broken and it is not possible to use it or it does not have the up to date entries.
I followed this guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

but I could not find anoption to restore the system state or the CLUSDB in a usable way.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you very much.

regards
/Stede
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2858 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup MS Failover Cluster Database

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
can you explain a little bit more why you need to manually restore that database when using Veeam? I just like to understand the use-case, because no situation comes into my mind where that would be useful.

And can you maybe also explain a little bit more your environment? Are you running VMs on Hyper-V? How are you backing up the VMs? What is the idea of backing up the Hyper-V physical node (because it has no data in general)?

Thanks,
Hannes
stede
Novice

Post by stede »

Hello Hannes,

thank you very much for your answer!
We are running several Hyper-V Clusters in different configurations: Storage Spaces Direct and configs with shared Storage connected via FC using different storage vendors.
On these Hyper-V Clusters we have someof virtual SQL AAG guest clusters running.
At the moment we are switching from MS DPM to Veeam B&R, License we are using is Enterprise Plus.

The reason we need that is because of a requirement from a different support contract and we had cases in which Microsoft needed that CLUSDB for a support case.

We are organizing Cluster Recovery Workshops on a regular base and every year it is an outcome that we need that CLUSDB.

regards
stede
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
okay, VM backup works agentless with Veeam. That includes SQL always on clusters. The quick start guide is a good starting point https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/qsg_hyperv/
an outcome that we need that CLUSDB.
that "outcome" is the detail I'm interested in. Since this forum exists, nobody ever asked for clusdb restore (zero hits with forum search). So I assume it has something to do how other backup products work or manual restore operations that are unnecessary with Veeam.

Normally, the Hyper-V hosts are not even backed up (same like nobody would back up an ESXi host).

Best regards,
Hannes
stede
Novice

Post by stede »

Hello,

no, it does not have something to do with other Backup Solutions.
If you deal a bit more with MS clusters and the CLUSDB you can see that it contains information regarding cluster resources, networks etc.
In case of a cluster crash sometimes you need the information from the CLUSDB or the affected registry hive.
Please see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... -using-vss

ESX is not Hyper V (to be honest as a customer you hear that way too often).

I think the problem is that most bigger Veeam customers are using VMware.

To claim a customer does not need that option because Veeam does not have that feature is a bit too easy.

The requirement came from a Microsoft Cluster Consultant and it is metioned in the pasted article above.

I have to admit we needed that only i very rare situations but whatever it is a requirement we have.

Anyway thank you very much for your answers and help - I was just interested how other customers and Veeam deals with that.

I think I will contact "our" Solutions Architect and discuss our need.

Thank you very much
stede
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
To claim a customer does not need that option because Veeam does not have that feature is a bit too easy.
As you seem to be the first person, we need to understand what the goal is and in which situation it is required. Then we can think about how this could work today or whether it makes sense to add a new feature.

The article describes which APIs should be used to back up and restore a cluster. In the background we use VSS APIs everywhere with Microsoft applications. That allows us to restore Microsoft applications / failover cluster server nodes in a way that is supported by Microsoft. No need for manual registry hive restores.
I think I will contact "our" Solutions Architect and discuss our need.
maybe you can post the result, or ask him to do it directly.

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Thanks, I got the information indirectly from your solution architect.

Mounting the clusdb registry hive with

Code: Select all

reg load HKLM\temp-clusterhive01 "C:\veeamflr\<path>\CLUSDB"
works fine.

But there are more things to consider. I will check that and come back.

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sorry, I somehow missed coming back on this. It's tracked as bug 375055 and I hope that it makes it into V12 / V6

Best regards,
Hannes