Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
btn003
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bjørn-Tore

Veeam File Copy - overwrite option

Post by btn003 »

Hi -
Im using the Veeam File Copy feature to copy the backup folder to a USB on regular basis. This works great.
But I cant find any option/checkbox for "overwrite" if the disk has files on it. This would be a great option feature.

Any plans to add this to the file copy job of Veeam ?

Kind r

Bjørn.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam File Copy - overwrite option

Post by foggy »

Bjørn, files are overwritten by default. Don't you expect such behavior?
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

Hi -

Strange, in my job they are not overwritten. New files are just added to the USB until its full. Old files are not deleted.

Any idea?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean the ability to overwrite the whole folder contents? I was talking about overwriting particular files if they already exist on target.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

I thought of the whole folder yes.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, got it. Thank you for the feedback.
mjwilde
Novice

Re: Disk 2 Disk 2 Disk Backup Setup

Post by mjwilde »

[merged]

Hi

I use version 5 at the moment.

In this scenario, is the software clever enough so that the offsite USB disk change requires no user intervention?

E.g. If I store my Veeam backup files locally in d:\MyVeamBackup and I set up a 'file copy' job to copy this folder to my portable USB, when I next use this disk, it will already have this folder present with last weeks/last months backup. Does it overwrite it? Some sort of append? How does it work?

Thank you in advance for you help
souperstar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by souperstar »

I'm also curious about this. I would like to be able to have the local drive copy to the eSATA drives that go offsite. For us, this occurs every day. The File Copy job appears to copy, but I don't think it removes older files. The eSATA drives will eventually fill. Is there a way to overwrite or delete these old backups from the File Copy job settings?

Currently on version 5, but can upgrade to version 6 if this functionality exists in it.
toabama
Influencer
Full Name: Tobias Åman

Re: Copy -- overwrite?

Post by toabama »

I have noticed that as well, we try to copy and it says there is no space left on target. I'll open a case on this as well!
toabama
Influencer
Full Name: Tobias Åman

Post by toabama »

In our case we would like to copy the backup files to our DR site storage that also holds a B&R installation so we can mount them there if necessary.
Now when we try a File copy it just halts and says There is not enough disk space 2TB needed when we have 9TB offsite and there is plenty left.

I would like Veeam to extend the possibilities to "replicate" data to DR sites without having a DR vSphere environment in place, if this is supposed to be done with File copy jobs then please add more functionality to these kind of jobs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tobias, thank you for the feedback! Since you prefer to backup locally, you can also consider using rsync to sync backup files offsite. There are plenty existing topics on this forum about this technique, please check them out.