Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RPR84
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rijk P.

Best configuration with single Hyper-V host?

Post by RPR84 »

Hi,

We have a single Hyper-V host environment that we want to backup. At this moment, I create the following configuration:
- Install Veeam Backup & Replication on VM on the Hyper-V host (I know it is not supported, but it is my only option);
- Configure a NAS with a SMB-share;
- Use On-host backup;
- Backup mode: Reversed incremental;
- Enable application-aware image processing.

We want also to have an offsite backup. Is it possible to sync the share on the NAS with Rsync to an USB-disk or other NAS? Or have Veeam better solutions to replicate the backup to an USB-device?

I hope, there is somebody that give me some advises. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Rijk P.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Best configuration with single Hyper-V host?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rijk, actually installing Veeam Backup & Replication on VM on the Hyper-V host is supported, there are no issues with that. Your configuration looks good to me. For offsite backup, for your data size, I recommend simply doing scripted copy of the latest backup file to your USB storage device. Thanks!
RPR84
Novice

Post by RPR84 »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for reply! I did read that installing Veeam Backup & Replication on VM on the Hyper-V host was not supported. But great that it is actually supported!

We have two locations with a small WAN-connection. When the incremental backups are not very great, maybe we can copy the backups over that WAN-connection to another NAS. But when the incremental backups are to big, we must copy the backup to USB-disks.

Can you tell me, is it a problem that we never make a full backup? When a full backup is required, replication over WAN is no option.

Best regards,

Rijk
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, this is not a problem to never make a full backup. Internally at Veeam, we never do full backups - meaning, they are not scheduled in our jobs. Of course, full backups still happen occasionally anyway - due to various reorgs, upgrades, job changes etc.

I did not realize that you have 2 locations. In this case, you might be better off setting up a separate job to a backup repository located in the remote site. We are doing exactly this internally, backing up selected VMs over Atlantic to another site, using about 6 Mpbs from our 10 Mbps pipe. What is your WAN link bandwidth?

Thanks.
RPR84
Novice

Post by RPR84 »

I didn't tell you before about two locations, so you can't know this by your own ;-). But I think is not recommed backup to a SMB fileshare over a WAN-connection. Or is it not a problem? If it is a problem, we must create a iSCSI-volume on the NAS.

The WAN-link is 768Kbps. Thats very slow when we compare this with your connection ;-). But I think, that 2 - 4 GB changes in a night is no problem. We want to backup 2 VM's. One Windows SBS 2011 and one application server.

When we create two jobs, is it a problem when the are running simultaneous?

Thanks again!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You would not backup to CIFS share directly over WAN, but instead through the proxying server in the remote site. When you are setting up CIFS share based backup repository, you will see a setting for this in the wizard.

I am afraid that SBS will most likely generate too much changes for your bandwidth, si try backing up locally first, and see the job reports first for the amount of daily changes.

There are no problems with jobs running concurrently! The new v6 architecture is all about concurrent jobs anyway.

Thanks.
RPR84
Novice

Post by RPR84 »

Hi Anton,

Thanks for reply. I try to create a proxying server in the remote site. But I don't know what configuration it needed.

For your information, in the remote site, there is also an Hyper-V host with 2 VM's. We don't want to backup these servers. This is not necessary. Is it possible to use one VM on that remote Hyper-V host for proxying server? Could you tell me how I can configure this? And need this extra licenses?

I think we must take the following actions:
- Create a new backup proxying server (I can choose by VMware or Hyper-V, but it is a VM. When I choose Hyper-V, I get the message that we must install Hyper-V role, now we choose VMware)
- Create backup repositorie (choose the remote server as Backup Proxying server)
- Create job

We want to make the full backup first directly to the NAS, then we transport the NAS to the remote location and change the proxying server of the backup repositories to use the remote backup proxying server. Is that possible?

A long story, but I hope you understand what I mean ;-).

Best regards,

Rijk
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rijk, in fact you should be able to use the remote Hyper-V host itself as the proxying server, as this is really nothing but regular Windows box. Or any other Windows VM you have running there, of course. There is no need for extra licenses for any backup infrastructure components, we only license source (protected) host sockets and nothing else. As for how to setup a proxy, I have to refer you to our excellent User Guide for the step by step configuration process. Also, if you run into any roadblocks, feel free to contact our support for hands on assistance (they can do a webex with you, and assist remotely). Thanks!
RPR84
Novice

Post by RPR84 »

I was looking for the manual, but I can find only whitepapers and release notes. Maybe you could post a download link?

Thanks!
RPR84
Novice

Post by RPR84 »

Just I find the documentation on the following link:
http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup/resources.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yep. And the Release Notes document is included with your download ;)