Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
samrooney
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: sam rooney

Easy question

Post by samrooney »

Hi,
Sorry about this, I have tried looking for the answer myself in a few different ways but havent found anything definitive. My question is is it possible with Veeam B&R V6 standard to perform single file restores from a win2008 replica?

I have had a look at "File Level Restore" but this seems to be only for backups not replicas. "UAIR" and "Restore from replica, Guest files(windows)" seem to restore the whole VM.

Is microsoft search server needed for this?

Thanks,
Sam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Easy question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sam,

If you want to restore single file there is no need to have MS Search Server installed. Moreover this component is now optional for guest file system indexing and search.

Please be aware that this functionality (FLR from replica) was already available starting from v1. So if you face any technical issues please contact our support team for assistance.

Thanks.
samrooney
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: sam rooney

Post by samrooney »

Hi Vitali,
Thats good to know thanks, I have tried the options i mentioned above but i cant find one that does single file restores from replicas, i must have made a mistake somewhere in my setup, i have opened a tech support call so I will find out.
Thanks,
Sam
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

Click Replicas on the left -> Expand the Job list of Replicas -> Right click the VM you want to restore files from -> Restore Guest files. Doing Restore Guest Files(Windows) will not restore the entire VM. What it will do is pull up a browser where you can pick the files you would like to restore.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

To tack onto an old thread....Is it possible to do a one click restore from a Replica going through Enterprise Manager? Guest indexing is greyed out in the replication job so I am assuming the only way is through the Veeam console?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, "1-Click" FLR is available for backed up VMs only. To restore guest files from replicas you should be using Veeam console.