Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
apetersen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Allan Petersen

Mixing Basic and Production Support levels

Post by apetersen »

Hello,

I wonder whether others are having similar challenges with Veeam when it comes to having a mixture Basic and Production Support levels? The situation that I am facing is that Veeam Support will downgrade our support tickets to Basic even though 87% of all our licenses are covered by Production Support. We operate an environment where the aim to consolidate everything into a couple of global data centers having Production support whilst having some smaller pockets for less important workloads having Basic Support.

The resolution from Veeam so far has been to provide a quote to change Basic to Production. To me that is not acceptable nor is it acceptable to have our support requests downgrades because Veeam is unable to manage customers having a mixture of support levels.

Any one else in the same boat?

Best regards
Allan
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Mixing Basic and Production Support levels

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

I'll let someone from Veeam comment further, but is it really reasonable the other way around to grant you a higher support level than you paid for just because for another license you purchased is higher?

As far as I know, this only happens if you _merge the license_, which I feel is appropriate -- merging is convenient, sure, but there's no inability to have a mixture of support levels; many of my clients with older socket licenses have VUL for other areas of Veeam, and they leave the licenses unmerged. The VUL get production support, the sockets get basic, everyone knows what's going on.

While I get it's a "nice gesture" to auto-upgrade the Support level, my guess is this is one of the carrots so to speak for sales in general, and in some cases it's a non-trivial gesture.

Basically, I am not sure it's fair to say there are "issues" with having both; it's more accurate to say you need to consider extra aspects when merging such licenses.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Mixing Basic and Production Support levels

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Allan, customers are cautioned against mixing different support levels as it is a challenge for our support organization to identify the actual license level covering the affected workload. The downgrade of the support level in such cases is mentioned in the Veeam licensing policy:
Support level for Customers always defaults to their lowest contracted level. For example, if a Customer has 90% of their licenses contracted to Production Support and 10% of their licenses contracted to Basic Support, Veeam will only provide Basic Support.