Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Instant VM recovery, NAS and filesystem

Post by Fiskepudding »

Hello

My first post here at Veeam forums, so be gentle :)

We are very intereseted in Veeam, one big reason for this is "Instant VM Recovery"
If this really works it comes close to replacing an expnsive HA solution in our environment.

We plan to have a few NAS for stroring the backups and offcuase run the VM from the same NAS if there is a need for "Instant VM Recovery".

Since we are not familiar with Veeam, we wonder what fileystem needs to be on the NAS.
The reason this question arises is that Veeam backup server/proxy, needs to see this filesytem, and write to it, at the same(later) time the ESX host also need to see this file system so it can "mount" the VM files?

I guess we run into the same issue if wee want to use SureBackup.

So, what is the typical setup when using NAS and you plan to use Instant VM Recovery.
iSCSI, NFS.. what filesystem?

If this is already dicussed here, please point me in the right direction, i did not find it when i searched.

Thanx
Espen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Instant VM recovery, NAS and filesystem

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Espen,

Actually file system type on your NAS box does not matter, as we are using vPower NFS Server for Instant Recovery and SureBackup Jobs. If you're planning to store your backup files on this NAS just make sure your backup repository can write files to this NAS. Usually these boxes have NTFS file system and are connected through iSCSI or just CIFS share (depends on the your NAS make and model).

Also we have an existing F.A.Q. topic that covers all this in great details, please have a look if you still have any questions:
VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Hope this helps!
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Re: Instant VM recovery, NAS and filesystem

Post by Fiskepudding »

Thanx helps a lot :)