Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pwheeler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Wheeler

Best practices for scheduling in v6?

Post by pwheeler »

I'm going to be setting up something upwards of 100 separate backup jobs to run nightly.

With the ability to place automatic caps on how many jobs run at once in v6, is there any reason not to have them all start at the same time rather than setting up specific start times for each job and just let Veeam kick off each job as resources become available?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best practices for scheduling in v6?

Post by foggy »

Phil, you can start all the jobs at the same time, the tasks will be assigned to proxy servers dynamically once the required resource becomes available. Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I would stongly suggest NOT starting 100 separate backup jobs to run at the same time! For one thing, there is a known issue when you attempt to start more that 64 jobs at any one time that will cause the scheduler to no function, I believe that this issue will be addressed in the next hotfix, but it will simply limit the maximum number of jobs that are allowed to run at any one time to 64, the others will simply wait.

The other reason you might not want to start so many jobs at one time is that the server will immediately contact vCenter and cache the environment for each process that is scheduled, even if there are not any resources to process the job. This cache can take between 300-500MB per job (or, in extreme cases, much more). If your Veeam server has gobs of memory this might not be an issue, but otherwise you will quickly find yourself with a Veeam server that is overloaded and running poorly.

I would STRONGLY recommend staggering the jobs at least some to make sure you stay below the 64 job limit, to decrease the impact on the servers memory and on the vCenter server during initial startup.
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James

Post by jcwuerfl »

Is there a way to chain jobs ?
htwnrva
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronny

Post by htwnrva »

I have mine spread out to about 10 per hour with 1 hour in between. Seems to work OK and load on vCenter isn't too heavy.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jcwuerfl wrote:Is there a way to chain jobs ?
Yes, you can chain the jobs using post-job activity option. Please check this topic for more details.