Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
alex_ilie
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexandru Ilie

SureBackup

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. I am trying to set up a sure backup process to verify some of the vms. All good, i have created all that i need. I start the job and, even thou the vm starts (both, the virtual lab and the vm i need to check) the state of the process does not go above 0% in the JOBS window from Surebackup section. My guess is that it should start verifying and the it should shut down the vm right? What am i missing here? Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Sure backup

Post by Gostev »

alex_ilie wrote:What am i missing here?
That would be pretty impossible to guess with this little data...
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Please let me know what exactly you need to know. I can see that the HeartBeat test is ok. The ping is not ok. I have deactivated the firewall on the vm. I have also tried to configure the nic for the virtual_lab_testing, but still fails. For configuring the sure backup i have used the info i found in Veeam software in the Sure Backup section. It should be good enough. Please let me know if you need more info in order to help me. Thanks!
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. It seems to be working, but the vm from backup (which is beeing tested) should not automatically shut down once the test is over?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it should automatically shutdown once the test is completed.
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. Could some one please tell me where could i find a guide about how to set up sure backup? Maybe i am doing something wrong. The VM does not go down and i get a status of Ready in the jobs window for that specific vm when i test it. Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What about the application group? Do all VMs in it power off on SureBackup job completion? Is there a chance that the tested VM belongs to the app group as well and the 'Keep the application group running once the job completes' check box is selected?

The process of creating a SureBackup job is described in the user guide in good detail.
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. Let me tell you what i have done.
-> I have taken backup of a Vm.
-> I have created the virtual lab and configured the IP and all so all good
-> i have created the application group and added the vm i have taken backup of. The question is when i add a vm i have to options. which one i use add vm from backup or add vm from VI? I believe that its from VI.
-> Then i created the job - i select the virtual lab and the application group (i see the vms in the list for that specific app group). The keep the app group running once the job completes is not checked. Then ik use Link backup jobs and select the backup i want (this should not be used?). And that would be all.
-> I start the backup and the checking should start automatically correct?
It does not. Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Generally, if you just want to test a single VM without checking any application dependencies on other VMs, then you do not need to specify an application group at all, only link a backup job.
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

After enabling the schedule it started and stoped automatically. I was expecting the sure backup job to start by itself immediatly after finishing the backup since it was linked to that backup. There is one warning i got: Error W2008R2TemplAct - Application initialization. Does this mean that it could not start the vm properlly? Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Not necessarily, it could also mean that the application just needs more time to initialize than the timeout specified in the SureBackup job settings by default. Or that wrong role / test script is specified for the VM (no such application). Also, remember that you can always open the VM console window when the SureBackup job is running (by going to the job's session dialog and clicking the VM name), and see how the VM is doing. Thanks!
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Please have a look at the log below. The error i get is it critical or is just because no script is used and it can be ignored? Can i get rid of it? I get an error in the last result section in jobs section of the sure backup. Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This warning is displayed in informational purposes, please review this topic for details.

PS I've edited your post and removed log snippets. Please avoid posting them as explained when you click New Topic.
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Sorry. Thank you!
damocue
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: David Molina

Post by damocue »

Hello all,

My problem with Surebackup is quite different from here reported. When I run a Surebackup job, the recovered virtual machines have got a network adapter, differents from originals. So, when I run a Surebackup of Exchange, for example, the domain controller and Exchange servers have a different IP, got from the DHCP server in virtual Lab, and with these new IPs my lab doesn't work because Exchange servers don't find the domain controller.

I remember that on version 5 this didn't happen. Is it something new in version 6?

Regards,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi David, this sounds like VMXNET3 and Windows 2008 issue that has been around since we first released SureBackup (please search the forum for VMXNET3). There is a Microsoft patch for that. Thanks!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

And if i'm allowed to do so here are the links with more information on VMXNET3 and Windows 2008 issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1020078 (general information from VMWare)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2344941/en-us (Patch from Microsoft for Windows 2008 and Windows 7 without SP1)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2550978 (Patch from Microsoft for Windows 2008 and Windows 7 with SP1)

Greetz
Haris
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

I forgot to mention that it only affects Windows 2008 R2!
jirkav
Novice
Full Name: Jirka Vana

Post by jirkav »

I try to apply the hotfix KB2550978 to currently actualized Windows 2008 R2 but it is not possible. Install stop witch this information: "The update is not applicable to your computer".
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Do you have SP1 installed or not?

The update you've tried is for Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1. The second link is for Windows 2008 R2 without SP1.
jirkav
Novice

Post by jirkav »

Yes, I try applying it to Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 and latest patch from Microsoft Update.
Next patches from Windows Update installed after SP1 probably overwrite some files and hotfix is not applicable.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Hmm this is strange. Just tested it with a VM Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64bit and the latest patches installed. Worked for me.

There is a 32bit and a 64bit version of this patch. Maybe you took the wrong one?
jirkav
Novice

Post by jirkav »

I am sorry. I did download hotfix from 32-bit OS and website shows me only one link. I forgot unhide other systems. Correct patch file is Windows6.1-KB2550978-x64.msu and installations is ok. I am sorry for my mistake.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

I ran into following problem after installed MS patch 2550978 on a domain controller:
The vm bluescreens with :
Stop: c00002e2
Error Status: 0xc0000142
I could not recover the dc. I uninstalled the patch and took a new backup and tried the sure backup job again and the dc recovers fine, but still got the network problem obviously.
Other not-dc VMs don't have a problem with the patch. I must have something to do with the Directoryservice Recovery Mode.
Can someone confirm that a domain controller with patch 2550978 will not recover in a SureBackup session or other Veeam restore modes?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I haven't heard about any incompatibility issues between MS patch 2550978 and domain controllers, so this might be treated as a confirmation that is it does work. BTW - have you tried using E1000 network adapter to resolve this issue?
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

I switched to E100 due to lack of other options now.
thecoon
Lurker
Full Name: Koen Lepez

Post by thecoon »

When you get the error message "Update not applicable to your computer" when using this update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2550978 please remove all recently installed private updates and try again. If you do not have private updates, remove all updates if necessary and retry...Good Luck!
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: SureBackup

Post by larry »

Windows 7 and server 2008R2 with Vmxnet3 running at ten gig. When I do sure backup the VM won’t pass a ping test. If I open the console the VM wants to reboot because it has a new NIC on a new network. If I click ok, turn off the firewall it then is ok with ping, next sure backup the same.
Was there some other fix or still try the same as above ?

Instant recovery does not have the issue.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I believe the mentioned workarounds should still work.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry » 1 person likes this post

I found the fix for 64 bit but cant find the fix for 32 bit.