Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Leasa
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alain S.

W11 22H2, boot on recovery media

Post by Leasa » 1 person likes this post

Translated with Translator

Hello,
I have been using Veeam agent for Microsoft Windows Free Edition for several years without any problem.
Since upgrading from Windows 11 22H1 to W11 22H2 (on two systems) I have a problem with my Veeam Recovery Media created under W11 22H2 (no problem with W11 22H1).
When I boot on my Recovery Media, it opens only a command window (X:\Windows\System32>) and nothing else ....
Do you have this problem?
Do you have any idea?
Thanks
Alain
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: W11 22H2, boot on recovery media

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
Do you have any idea?
yes, please wait until 22H2 is supported. Until today, only 21H2 is supported.

Best regards,
Hannes
MPG
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dominik Brocks

Post by MPG »

Hello,

is there a estimated timeframe where Windows 11 22H2 will supported?

Best regards
Dominik
speedy41
Novice
Full Name: Adam Speed

Post by speedy41 »

I have the exact same issue, any idea when this will be supported?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

The next possible release vehicle is v6 which should become generally available sometimes in Q1 2023.
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Post by robnicholsonmalt »

Same problem here... will have to spin up an older install of Windows 11 or even Windows 10 to create recovery media. Not ideal!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello folks,

Please open a support case and share your case ID with us, that would help with the investigation. Thank you in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello folks,

W11 22H2 can be protected with current version of Veeam Agent for Windows, however, we've confirmed that the only issue is with Recovery Media being incorrectly created (and then such Recovery Media cannot be booted) mentioned in this thread. As a workaround - you can use RE created from non-22H2 Windows 11 build.

The fix will be provided with upcoming major version of Veeam Agent for Windows. Thank you for all the reports!
bertsirkin
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bert Sirkin

Post by bertsirkin »

I also have this problem, but there's another major issue, at least for me.

I have Veeam recovery media created from before 22H2 and it boots fine, however, it doesn't load network drivers. My backups are on a network drive and I can't reach them. I had a critical situation where I needed to restore my system drive and couldn't. I had to copy the network drive backup files onto an external drive (on another network computer) which took 6 hours to copy!

There needs to be a work around for this NOW.

bert
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

If your Veeam recovery media is created from Windows version before 22H2, then your issue has nothing to deal with what is discussed in this topic. Please contact support to investigate your specific issue. Thanks!
bertsirkin
Novice

Post by bertsirkin »

It's the same issue. I can't restore from backup media created with 22H2 because I get a DOS prompt only. The recommendation was made to create backup media from a previous version, but that doesn't work either as the network drivers don't work!

The bottom line is that there is not recovery option from 22H2 now.

bert
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

OK, I will try again.

This topic is about inability to create a functioning recovery media on W11 22H2. This expected as this Windows version is not yet supported by the product.

However, there are no known issues with recovery media created on supported Windows versions. So your issue with network drivers not loading in the recovery environment from recovery media created on a supported Windows version has nothing to deal with this topic, and should be investigated by our technical support.
bertsirkin
Novice

Post by bertsirkin »

I'll try again also... The OP indicated "When I boot on my Recovery Media, it opens only a command window (X:\Windows\System32>) and nothing else ....". Recovery media CAN be created on 22H2 (I just did it), but it doesn't work - it just opens up a DOS window as the OP indicated. I'm just indicating that earlier media recovery versions don't work on 22H2 because of a network driver issue. I spent well over 2 hours on the phone last night with a Veeam support person on just that issue, with no resolution.

So, right now there is NO recovery option for backups stored on network storage.

bert
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

bertsirkin wrote: Nov 04, 2022 2:48 pmI'm just indicating that earlier media recovery versions don't work on 22H2
This statement makes no technical sense to me. The recovery environment runs the same Windows version as the computer where the recovery media was created. So in this case, it will run some "earlier" Windows version (as you called it), while 22H2 will not be present anywhere in the entire process in any shape or form.
bertsirkin
Novice

Post by bertsirkin » 1 person likes this post

Well, for whatever reason, the recovery app has the network driver on the disk, but won't load it due to one of two errors (I had two different restore USB media, and each gave a different error). As I indicated, I spent multiple hours on the phone with a Veeam support person last night and never got to a resolution. I ended up having to copy the backup files to an external drive, which took almost 6 hours, and then I was able to restore from the local external drive.

Not what I was expecting.

bert
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bert,

The issue you are facing could be indeed unrelated to the issue discussed in this topic (inability to create recovery media from W11 22H2). Could you please raise a support case and share the case ID with us, we will ask support team / QA team to review the debug logs or start a separate investigation if the issue is confirmed. Thank you in advance!
Oliver123
Lurker
Full Name: Oliver Bucher

[MERGED] opening command line prompt with Veeam Recovery Media

Post by Oliver123 »

Dear all

My Veeam Support - Case is # 05739249

I use Veeam Agent v. 5.0.3.4708 with that I backup a Windows 11 system, v. 22H2 (build 22623.891). The funny thing is when I create the recovery media on that system, it launches a command prompt and I can do nothing more than exit. When I create the recovery media on a Win 10 systems it works fine and I get the Veeam GUI.

As far as I read, this appears in the past as a known issue :shock: . But nowadays it shouldn’t, as windows 11 is not that new.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards

Oliver
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Oliver

Please see the answer in this topic. There are known issues with the recovery media created with Windows 11 22H2 (build 22623.891).
Our Agent needs to be updated to be compatible with windows 11 22H2.
Hello folks,

W11 22H2 can be protected with current version of Veeam Agent for Windows, however, we've confirmed that the only issue is with Recovery Media being incorrectly created (and then such Recovery Media cannot be booted) mentioned in this thread. As a workaround - you can use RE created from non-22H2 Windows 11 build.

The fix will be provided with upcoming major version of Veeam Agent for Windows. Thank you for all the reports!
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Nets
Service Provider
Full Name: Nicholas Lyle

Post by Nets »

Any updates on getting this resovled?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

It will be solved with our next major release in Q1. We will update this topic when it is available.

Thanks,
Fabian
azpets
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: A.Z. SRL

Post by azpets »

Greetings to all Veeam people surfing around these pages.

Win11 22H2 was released 4th October 2022. +90 days means 2nd January 2022
Win10 22H2 was released 18th november 2022. +90 days means 16 January 2022.
AFAIK, both versions of Windows are not fully supported by Agent 5.0.3, at least for creating boot media.
Microsoft is actively (but with carbon emission care) pushing the deployment of both platforms, so if someone is creating for the first time the backup set, cannot have a working boot media for bare metal recovery.

I am aware of
-"Q1 2023" expected delivery
-Major release incoming, with several changes "under the hood"
-Quite unlikely that new hardware dies in few months

Still... the lack of support for latest Windows versions from Veeam products restrain me to start backup procedures, due to lack of bare metal restore (one of several key points of Veeam). Another thing that worry me is also the lack for any beta/alpha release; I can understand how a critical application like backup might be consider pointless the public release of unpolished product: this piece of software should be the appease tool for consider data safer and available in case of trouble, but on the other hand, public availability of beta software might help the pinpoint of problems and issues, allowing to refine the code and create a better KB for the GA release.

I know that what I'm writing cannot reach the decisions maker for change the current state of the things: hurrying coders or QA testers is pointless (better

Code: Select all

good
code than

Code: Select all

fast
, expecially for backup) but propose a point of view might help for consider a different approach for the lead developers.

Last but not least: thanks to Veeam and Veeam People. With Agent for Windows, have a working backup strategy with bare metal and reporting is fast, effective, easy, sometimes even efficient (some settings are quite space-eager). I cannot praise enough the quality and the features of the software.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello azpets,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words! We are actively pushing the next major versions too and completely on the same page with MS care about carbon emission.
Another thing that worry me is also the lack for any beta/alpha release; I can understand how a critical application like backup might be consider pointless the public release of unpolished product
We've had several private beta deliveries, reach out for your local sales folks to get access to the latest version for test purposes!
ENBS
Novice
Full Name: ENBS

Post by ENBS »

Hi,

as i am also affected by this problem i have seen that the "Veeam.Endpoint.Recovery.exe" is not booting in the WindowsRE. As a workaround i have created myself an Recovery-ISO from within an Windows 11 21H1-VM. That works so far but lacking the needed Controllerdrivers and most importantly the Recovery-Password stored in the original ISO.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi ENBS

Welcome to the forum.
You can add the controller drivers manually when creating the recovery media.

Best,
Fabian
ENBS
Novice
Full Name: ENBS

Post by ENBS »

Hi Mildur, thanks.

Yes i know, this works as long as you know which driver you need :wink: .

My Problem is more of the Decryption-Key. Sure the key is documented but since the Agent has no "type it again to be sure you didn't mistype"- Function (this would be a nice feature in the future), i rely on the feature to store the decryptionkey. Is there a way to copy the file conaining the decryptionkey from the non-working ISO to the working-iso?
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by Novox »

@Dima P. might it be possible to post a generic Windows 10 21H2 Veeam Recovery ISO for users having issues? (Realizing, Microsoft licensing may prohibit redistributing WinRE binaries :?)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Novox,

Unfortunately that's not possible. We will review if it's possible to adjust config of recovery media creation manually for next versions.

Please stay tuned for upcoming v12 announcements and do not forget to register: https://go.veeam.com/v12
azpets
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: A.Z. SRL

Post by azpets »

Binaries release before or after v12 presentation?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

v6 is now available with full support for 22H2 releases.

Happy upgrade, do not hesitate to share your feedback with us if anything goes wrong!
Leasa
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alain S.

Post by Leasa » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, everything works fine.
You can close my request

Best Regards
Alain