Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
researcher
Novice
Liked: never

Connect to existing backup after reinstalling Windows

Post by researcher »

Hi, I recently reinstalled Windows because of suspected malware. Now I don't know how to set up Veeam so that it connects to my existing backup. I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Connect to existing backup after reinstalling Windows

Post by ronnmartin61 » 1 person likes this post

You simply need to reinstall the Veeam Agent for Windows and start the backup job configuration process. When prompted to specify backup storage hit the "Map backup" option to re-point the agent to your prior backup chain. See https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... ver=50#map
researcher
Novice

Post by researcher »

Thank you and sorry - I should have specified that the backup is on a server. Can I connect to it the same way or do I need to set it up again on the server? If the latter, should I post my question in a different forum?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software

Post by ronnmartin61 »

It doesn't matter where the chain was stored (VBR repo, shared folder, local USB) the process is still the same. Point at whatever repository type you previously used and select "Map Backup"
researcher
Novice

Post by researcher »

When I go through the menu to set up a new backup, I can select "local storage" or "Veeam backup repository". When I select the latter, the "Map Backup" button is not shown. I can only enter the backup server name or IP address. When I do that, I get the following error message:

Unable to obtain a Veeam Agent for Windows license from the backup server.
Unable to process host: [computer name] is already registered.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software

Post by ronnmartin61 »

The reason you're not seeing it is because it's only exposed in the next step of the wizard which is not appearing because of the error. I did some additional checking and since you reinstalled rather than recovered from backup we do not expose the old chain for security reasons (see post462906.html?hilit=already%20registered#p462906). Probably easiest to run this through support. It may be as simple as revoking the machine's license on the VBR host but I don't have time to test personally...