Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
james41
Lurker
Liked: never

Does S3 immutable repository work when fed by rotated storage backup job?

Post by james41 »

I'm running B&R 11 in a Hyper-V environment. My backups are run to external media with the the repository marked as being backed by rotated drives. I recently added an immutable S3 bucket following the Veeam guide for doing that and everything worked as expected until I swapped the storage media. I got all kinds of errors, a few posted below.

I ran a Resync of the repositories which appears to have downloaded new indexes. Go to kick off the job, and not really a surprise, it says
"1/17/2023 9:39:39 AM :: Error: Unable to create a restore point: some backup files backing previous restore points are offloaded, please run an active full backup"

Fine enough, I can do that, but what I had expected was similar behavior to local rotated drives where Veeam just abandons the old data and starts over, with me then responsible for managing the abandoned backup sets in the S3 bucket as they age out of its retention period.

Am I asking Backup to do something it isn't intended to recover from?

Some other errors after swapping media:
"1/14/2023 10:02:37 PM :: Unable to create synthetic full backup: all OIBs in the current restore point are corrupted and previous restore point is not an increment"
"1/16/2023 3:08:35 AM :: Failed to verify backup file metadata Error: File [E:\Backups\HV1_-_Rotated_Storage\HV1 - Rotated Storage BackupD2023-01-02T030031_E853.vib] does not exist.
"Failed to verify storage [E:\Backups\HV1_-_Rotated_Storage\HV1 - Rotated Storage BackupD2023-01-02T030031_E853.vib] metadata.
Agent failed to process method {Stg.CheckMetadataCorrupt}."
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Does S3 immutable repository work when fed by rotated storage backup job?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi James

Rotated Disks cannot be part of a SOBR. And a SOBR is required for offloading backups to immutable object storages.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Scale-out backup repositories do not support rotated drives. If you enable the This repository is backed by rotated hard drives setting on an extent, Veeam Backup & Replication will ignore this setting and will work with such repository as with a standard extent.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
james41
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by james41 »

Thanks Fabian. Well I still want to run the scale-out plus have those locally rotated copies on-site and would really prefer to not add independent backups jobs, do you have any suggestions for best way to accomplish that? Maybe set the backup job that is pointed at the scale-out to use a non-rotated local repository, then set up a Backup Copy job and point that at the rotated repository?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Maybe set the backup job that is pointed at the scale-out to use a non-rotated local repository, then set up a Backup Copy job and point that at the rotated repository?
Yes, that will work. The non-rotated local repository can be part of a SOBR with object storage as the capacity tier.
Also in our upcoming release V12 you will be able to copy backups directly to object storage. A SOBR won‘t be required anymore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software