Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Backing up Linux Repository Server

Post by storageguy » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Any recommendations on how to best protect/backup the Linux repository server? If lets say my Linux repository server will go down for some reason, how can i restore it quickly? Note that our disks are SAN attached and not a local disk to the repository server.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backing up Linux Repository Server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd recommend sticking with the 3-2-1 rule and copying backups to a secondary repository that will be used as a source for restore when the primary repository is down. Also, for Linux repositories it's highly recommended to leverage Immutability to protect backups against malware activity or unplanned actions.

Thanks!
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Post by storageguy »

@PetrM, so if the hardware somehow goes defective or the OS gets corrupted, there is no way for me to recover that repository server except to create another backup jobs or backup copy jobs? Meaning to start all over again?

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The final goal is to recover the production workloads without significant downtime after a disaster and this goal can be easily achieved thanks to the 3-2-1 rule.

I would use the backup copy job or process backups to tapes or leverage SOBR capabilities to copy data to object storage. Also, if I understand correctly you have SAN-attached disks and can access them from another server in case of the primary server failure, add this new repo to Backup Infrastructure and reconfigure jobs to use a new repository.

Thanks!
mfo
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christoph Weber

Post by mfo » 1 person likes this post

storageguy wrote: Feb 09, 2023 5:05 pm @PetrM, so if the hardware somehow goes defective or the OS gets corrupted, there is no way for me to recover that repository server except to create another backup jobs or backup copy jobs? Meaning to start all over again?

Thanks
You could use Veeam Agent for Linux to backup your repository server to SAN Storage. In case of a corrupted OS you can boot from the recovery media and restore your server.