Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hoon0715
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: DH Kim

What is the best way to get a DB backup?

Post by hoon0715 »

Hello all,

I'm planning to get a Oracle DB backup through Veeam.

It seems that DB backups can be through "Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN" and "Application Aware Processing".

"Application Aware Processing" seems easier because can be set up when creating a backup job on a Veeam server than "Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN," which requires additional work in scripts and Guest OS.

However, I'm curious. Is "Application Aware Processing" enough to backup the DB?

I'm very confused because there are 2 ways to backup the DB.

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Best regards.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: What is the best way to get a DB backup?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello DH Kim

It depends on your requirements.
- If you just want a backup of the database, use "Application Aware Processing".
- If you want to give more control to the database administrator or use existing RMAN scripts, use "Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN".

You find more benefits for the RMAN plugin in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

The image level "Application Aware" based backup uses the VM/Physical Server backup engines to create incremental forever backups based on the block level. It will bring the database in consistent state with commands like "alter database begin backup".
Then it will create additional Archive Log backups. This is called as well "Oracle User Managed Backup".
At restore you can only use the Veeam Explorer for Oracle to restore to a point in time, point of backup or point of transaction.
No RAC is supported. ASM is supported for VMs.

The Plug-in will allow you to use Oracle RMAN and your Oracle Database Administrator can perform all backup and restore operations that are supported by RMAN. Scheduling in v11 and before need to be done by the DBA with things like CRON or any other Enterprise Scheduler. The DBA has full control of what commands and methods are used, DBA can even block the usage of any Veeam based restore operation (DBAs don´t trust the backup admins sometimes). v12 will have an own Policy for DBA backup scheduling.
RAC and ASM are supported.

If you have only little Oracle knowledge go with the Image level backup processing, it will give you full control.
If you have RAC or your DBA want to have a huge saying in the process, go with the Plug-in.

Use in both cases the VM or Agent based image backups to protect the installation and OS.
hoon0715
Enthusiast

Post by hoon0715 »

Mildur wrote: Feb 06, 2023 8:27 am Hello DH Kim

It depends on your requirements.
- If you just want a backup of the database, use "Application Aware Processing".
- If you want to give more control to the database administrator or use existing RMAN scripts, use "Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN".

You find more benefits for the RMAN plugin in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best,
Fabian

Thank you so much for reply!
According to you, I can choose according to the situation and guarantee recovery the DB no matter what I choose!
hoon0715
Enthusiast

Post by hoon0715 »

Andreas Neufert wrote: Feb 06, 2023 9:32 am The image level "Application Aware" based backup uses the VM/Physical Server backup engines to create incremental forever backups based on the block level. It will bring the database in consistent state with commands like "alter database begin backup".
Then it will create additional Archive Log backups. This is called as well "Oracle User Managed Backup".
At restore you can only use the Veeam Explorer for Oracle to restore to a point in time, point of backup or point of transaction.
No RAC is supported. ASM is supported for VMs.

The Plug-in will allow you to use Oracle RMAN and your Oracle Database Administrator can perform all backup and restore operations that are supported by RMAN. Scheduling in v11 and before need to be done by the DBA with things like CRON or any other Enterprise Scheduler. The DBA has full control of what commands and methods are used, DBA can even block the usage of any Veeam based restore operation (DBAs don´t trust the backup admins sometimes). v12 will have an own Policy for DBA backup scheduling.
RAC and ASM are supported.

If you have only little Oracle knowledge go with the Image level backup processing, it will give you full control.
If you have RAC or your DBA want to have a huge saying in the process, go with the Plug-in.

Use in both cases the VM or Agent based image backups to protect the installation and OS.

Thank you so much for your perfect answer!
I couldn't have asked for a more complete answer.

I think Application aware can be a really simple and powerful DB backup if I don't have RAC configured.

By any chance, do you have any idea for backing up SQL DB?
I'm confused as to whether or not I should be exporting the database from the OS when backing up SQL DB.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I assume you are talking about Microsoft SQL Server?
You don't need to export this MSSQL databases. Application Aware Processing can be used for MSSQL backups.
Starting with Veeam Backup & Replication v12, we also provide an enterprise plugin for protecting your MSSQL databases.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software