Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jancipra
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Cipra

Backup VM from CDP copy

Post by jancipra »

Hi,

I have a question regarding Veeam CDP functionality.
The customer has two data centers between which he replicates virtual servers with the Veeam CDP functionality. Is it possible to somehow back up CDP replicas in the target DC, or transfer selected CDP restore points to some disk repository and then to tape?

Thanks.
Jan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup VM from CDP copy

Post by veremin »

No, but after initial CDP synchronization, you can back source VMs (backup job) up and copy resulting restore points to a secondary repository (backup copy) or tapes (backup to tape). Thanks!
jancipra
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Cipra

Post by jancipra »

The customer's goal is not to replicate the same data multiple times between data centers. So they would like to use the data image replicated by Veeam CDP to create a backup in a remote DC.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Understood, but you cannot back CDP replicas up. The snapshot (created by the backup job) might interfere with the constantly running CDP activity, thus the replica VMs have the snapshot creation mechanism blocked.

You might still want to consider working with the source VMs and achieving a more or less similar scenario (with additional data copies of course).

Thanks!
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

Well crud, I just ran into this. I am disappointed we can't backup Veeam CDP replicated VM in our DR site. That makes CDP a no-go for us but I was thinking it would be a great solution to replicating stand-alone SQL servers that we don't want to setup as Always On SQL DAGs but still need up-to-the-minute data replications.

We replicate every single VM to DR and we backup both the production VM and the replicated VM in DR (I know overkill but it is required by our owner). I get why we can't backup CDP replicas since they are constantly being replicated though.