Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Question about how to Deploy this

Post by jamerson »

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately we cannot use the hardend Repo between offices, each Office has it own VEEAM.
after doing some reading, we decieded to do the next.

We have Copy Jobs to VEEAM on the Datacenter
Office 1 >>>>> Our Datacenter "Offsite backup"
Office 2 >>>>> Our Datacenter "Offsite backup"
Office 3 >>>>> Our Datacenter "Offsite backup"

The offsite back-up in our datacenter is a File Server with 18TB storage.

in each VEEAM we have Added the FileServer at the Managed Servers to use it Direct Storage.
in Our datacenter we have a New Server which will be running Ubuntu "as hardend Repo.

we will backup the FileServer of our Datacenter ( 18TB) to the Ubuntu to have a immutable backup.

if anyone has any different idea about this , please share your thought is much appreciate it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Question about how to Deploy this

Post by Mildur »

Hi Julien

Using a windows repository server with different Veeam Backup server is supported, but not recommended.
Veeam server in each Office's must use another folder as a repository on your File-Server.
Please note:
- All Veeam Servers don't know about the other ones. Task Scheduling will not be that efficient. Every Veeam Server will try to use CPU/Memory resources they can get.
- All Veeam Server must be running the exact same Veeam version and Patch Level.
we will backup the FileServer of our Datacenter ( 18TB) to the Ubuntu to have a immutable backup.
You can do that, but recovering from your backup sounds complicated. I don't recommend it.
First, restore the entire backup chain back to the fileserver. Then do the restore to the production environment.
Maybe it's better to just do a backup copy from each office to object storage with immutability for 2-3 weeks.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for your answer each Office has it own Folder on the VEEAM on the Datacenter Office1 / Office 2 / Office 3

Code: Select all

Maybe it's better to just do a backup copy from each office to object storage with immutability for 2-3 weeks.
as far as i know this is not possible to have each office copy theires backup to the ubuntu immutability folder that why we have to do this.
please correct me if i am wrong.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

as far as i know this is not possible to have each office copy theires backup to the ubuntu immutability folder that why we have to do this.
I suggested to use object storage.
If you don't want to buy 3 different Hardened Repositories, check out other solutions with immutably support. Object Storage is a good alternative.

Best,
Fabian
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you. are those object storage cloud or we can deploy them like ubuntu?
Our customer is Gover. and are against the idea to have the backups on the cloud.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Julien

Object Storage is also available for On-Premise devices. There are purpose build object storage appliances or software based solutions which you can install on your own hardware. Object Storage allows you to create 3 buckets on the same storage appliance. Each Veeam Server will use it's own bucket. For Ubuntu, you could try out MinIO, which is in our Veeam Ready List: https://www.veeam.com/sys229

I strongly suggest to do performance tests with such solution. Backup Jobs, restores and restore points deletion before considering using it in production.
https://min.io/docs/minio/linux/index.html

Best,
Fabian
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

i appreciate your spport.
do you mean with the 3 buckets. only 3 VEEAM offices will be able to backup. and when we have office 4 it will not be possible?

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I used your scenario with 3 offices. Most likely you can do much more buckets.
How many? You need to ask that someone from MinIO.

Maybe you can find some statements in MinIO's user guide. You should also checkout their Hardware Checklist to check if your server is sufficient for your scenario:
https://min.io/docs/minio/container/ope ... -checklist