Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
clo101
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hussain Munir

backup issues with large tenant

Post by clo101 »

Hi Team,

I have been using this product and I'm losing confidence over time with each upgrade.

1. For a large tenant with lots of mailboxes, sharepoint sites and teams the backups still take very long to complete.
2. There is no simple way to split the jobs per sharepoint site. (Besides Manually doing this)
3. If you put all the Sharepoint Sites into 1 Job it will error out or crash and the entire backup will not have a restore point.

4. Migration from on-prem to blob is a JOKE! We are still in that process of doing this for more than 1 year. The powershell commands would error out and support said thats the only way.
5. Every time there is an upgrade the backup job constantly needs to resync for us this is madness as it takes days and sometimes it will crash and the proxy cant handle it. We have not gotten a backup for 10 DAYS!
6. Backups are important but it is only as good as the product that backs it up.

Just wanted to know if anyone else (big organisations) have this same problem? We just need a product that works for Enterprise not just Small businesses.

Regards
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: backup issues with large tenant

Post by karsten123 »

Hi, can you please share some details of your vbm infastructure?
clo101
Novice

Post by clo101 »

2 TB of Data on around 200 Sharepoint Sites.

2 Backup jobs for sharepoint one in Cloud (problem) and one on Prem (trying to move to Cloud using VBO-Move but constant failures and backup window overlaps)

Even after backups are moved the data size of the .edb file is still large and no way to compress making it hard to find more storage to use temporarily.

Archive backups are all on prem (been a bigger windows to move everything to cloud)

Not that immutable backups are available (with all the products it appears i need to redo all my backups) There is no clear move strategy.
clo101
Novice

Post by clo101 »

CASE 05900418

32.81 TB of Data on around 603 Sharepoint Sites.

2 Backup jobs for sharepoint one in Cloud (problem) and one on Prem (trying to move to Cloud using VBO-Move but constant failures and backup window overlaps)

Even after backups are moved the data size of the .edb file is still large and no way to compress making it hard to find more storage to use temporarily.

Archive backups are all on prem (been a bigger windows to move everything to cloud)

Not that immutable backups are available (with all the products it appears i need to redo all my backups) There is no clear move strategy.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for letting us know the support case. I will ask more details about it in my meeting with support. I will get back to you as soon as I have more information
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Hussain,

Your case has been prioritized and I hope that you will get the best customer experience with our Support team, and the current issues will be resolved.

To address some of your initial concerns:
1. Backup speed depends on many factors, including the number of requests that need to be sent to get the data and certain throttling restrictions in M365. To get better speeds, we recommend splitting backup jobs by workload type and, if necessary, distributing them between multiple backup proxies.
2. That's not trivial indeed. Our community experts have shared a PowerShell script that allows for some automation of this task.
4. We're working on certain improvements to the current migration mechanism. Meanwhile, please let our support engineers review your migration scripts and optimize them if needed.

Thanks!