Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Connection Mode selection

Post by andyboy16 »

Hello there,
We have one Veeam backup server and about a dozen Veeam proxy servers. Our Veeam backup server has access to our AWS 10GB Direct connect but the proxy servers do not. When setting up the Object Storage S3 repository (for SOBR), I see the option for "Connection mode". Is this option where the data flows through from performance tier (on-prem NAS) to capacity tier (S3 bucket)? We would want to select the Veeam backup server instead of Direct in order to go through the 10GB AWS Direct connect right?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Connection Mode selection

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would avoid sending traffic through the backup server in general, but yes, that would be what you like to do.

Depending on the size of your environment, it might be irrelevant to send traffic through the backup server. But for larger environments, the backup server should only do "management tasks". If you don't want the proxies (well, actually the gateway server of the NAS) to have access to AWS, then I would dedicate another machine for that instead of the backup server.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you talking about the usage of AWS Direct Connect for Capacity Tier offload? If so, don't forget to make these adjustments. Thanks!
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 »

Wow, I never seen this document.
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 »

veremin wrote: Apr 12, 2023 9:39 am Are you talking about the usage of AWS Direct Connect for Capacity Tier offload? If so, don't forget to make these adjustments. Thanks!
How is this different then making all traffic go over the AWS Direct connect from the network side?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I completely got your question, but there is an XML file that the backup server uses to establish a connection to certain AWS services. You need to modify the file to alter which server Veeam Backup & Replication will be trying to connect to for S3 and EC2 services - private ones (enabled by Direct Connect) instead of public ones. Thanks!
andyboy16
Enthusiast

Post by andyboy16 »

veremin wrote: Apr 13, 2023 10:11 am Not sure whether I completely got your question, but there is an XML file that the backup server uses to establish a connection to certain AWS services. You need to modify the file to alter which server Veeam Backup & Replication will be trying to connect to for S3 and EC2 services - private ones (enabled by Direct Connect) instead of public ones. Thanks!
So our network team made a static route for this Veeam server to go over the AWS Direct connect. So anything that goes to any of the S3 public IP interface, the network path will go over the AWS Direct connect. Just seeing if the Veeam suggestion makes a difference.
robfunderburk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Funderburk

Post by robfunderburk »

Hi all,

VASP employee here. I'm about to implement this for a customer. I don't understand why this is necessary at all and can't be implemented via routing alone.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you can try, but I'm pretty sure that DNS will break things if you only configure routing.

The KB article would not exist, if it was easier :-)

Best regards,
Hannes