Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
theresawhitney
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Theresa Whitney

temporarily add a nutanix cluster for restore purposes

Post by theresawhitney »

I am hoping I can get a quick answer here instead of having to open a support ticket for what seems to be a fairly simple question.

I have 2 VBR Servers that provide backup and recovery services for 2 separate datacenters.
Each VBR backups up a Nutanix cluster hosted at that datacenter.
VBR #1 and Nutanix Cluster #1 are in Datacenter A.
VBR #2 and Nutanix Cluster #2 are in Datacenter B.

I have a 2 node cluster (on UCS blades) that I backup using the Veeam Agent for Windows (SQL dbs in the cluster).
Node #1 is hosted in Datacenter A.
Node #2 is hosted in Datacenter B.
I use VBR #1 to backup both nodes in a single backup job.

We are moving these physical nodes to VMs and we are using Instant Recovery to restore their latest backups to Nutanix AHV VMs.
Node #1 will be restored to a VM in Nutanix Cluster #1.
Node #2 will be restored to a VM in Nutanix Cluster #2.

Since each VBR only sees the Nutanix cluster hosted in the same datacenter I am trying to figure out how to get Node #2 restored to Nutanix Cluster #2 when I do not currently see that cluster from VBR#1.

Can I temporarily add Nutanix Cluster #2 to the inventory on VBR #1? I would assume that would allow me to select the #2 cluster when I am configuring the Instant Recovery settings.

Can I also then delete that cluster from VBR#1 inventory when I am done? I don't need both VBRs to see both Nutanix clusters all the time.
Kochkin
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Nikolai Kochkin

Re: temporarily add a nutanix cluster for restore purposes

Post by Kochkin »

If you have a connection between VBR 1 and cluster 2, you can do it. There is nothing preventing adding 1 cluster to multiple VBRs.

If you want to remove cluster after instant recovery, please double-check first the migration is finished (otherwise VM will not be working since part of its data is missing on the cluster)
theresawhitney
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Theresa Whitney

Re: temporarily add a nutanix cluster for restore purposes

Post by theresawhitney » 1 person likes this post

That worked perfectly ... did not add the proxy ... only added the cluster as a Managed Server ... and that did the trick. Thanks so much for the guidance.