Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eisback
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

datacenter backup for 3 windows VMs

Post by eisback »

Hello, we need to backup three small Windows Server VMs (about 200 GB) running on an HPE server in a vpn conneted data center (server housing). Until now the servers were always on site at our customers. B&R is installed on an extra PC (not a member of the domain) and the primary backup is written to a local hard drive and the encrypted copy to alternate USB hard drives. This works very well and reliably! Now I am unsure how to adapt the backup concept to the new situation. How do you backup small workloads in data centers? I like offline copies ... :-) Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: datacenter backup for 3 windows VMs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you posted in the vSphere forum... is everything running on VMware and you have access to the hypervisor? If yes, then you can do vSphere-based backups (the proxy should be also in the remote data center. repository location depends on your goals). If not, then agent-based backups are an option.

Depending on the bandwidth, it might make sense to have primary backups in the datacenter and then a copy to "offline media".

Best regards
Hannes
eisback
Enthusiast

Post by eisback »

Hi, thanks! Yes everything runs on VMware and we have full access! I am considering purchasing a Windows 11 system in 19 inches with local storage for the primary backup in the datacenter. And maybe the second backup via Wasabi cloud storage? For this I would need another license than Community Edition, right?
eisback
Enthusiast

Post by eisback »

I ask my question differently: is it technically possible and also practical (keyword: backup merging) to run B&R not as a VM on the ESXi in the data center but at a remote location connected via VPN on a backup PC? Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, having a central B&R server in a distributed environment is a common scenario.

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: I deleted the two other posts as they were a combination of generic ChatGPT answer plus spam