Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TDG
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

NetApp storage snapshots

Post by TDG »

Hi we have an old Win 2012R2 VM with Veeam 11 (VBR11). Think it's doing storage snapshots via ONTAP on VBR 11

I can see this is set on the ESX host which the VBE11 VM is running (& This PCI is also set on the VBR11 VM setting as well)
PCI Devices
PASSTHROUGH-ENABLED DEVICES
0000:08:00.0
Enabled
Emulex Corporation Emulex LightPulse LPe16000 PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter
0000:08:00.1
Enabled
Emulex Corporation Emulex LightPulse LPe16000 PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter

Now I have a new Win 2022 VM (VBR12) running on the same ESX host with Veeam 12

How do I get this ONTAP added to the new VBR12 VM ?

Planning to de-com the old

Please advise
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: NetApp storage snapshots

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Sounds like you're going to need to cut over and pass through the Fibre Channel adapter to the new Veeam VBR.

I would recommend upgrading your existing V11 to V12 and taking a configuration backup. Then configure the new V12 VM with the Fibre Channel passthrough, make sure that's working, and then restore the Veeam configuration to it.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
TDG
Enthusiast

Post by TDG »

Thanks Tyler Jurgens. But I don't want to touch the old V11 (It's a mess apart from the NetApp storage snapshot) . I Got the new V12 running nicely & I have recreated all jobs manually & sending a copy to Wasabi. All I wanted to do is configure the new V12 VM with the Fibre Channel passthrough & setup the jobs from new & disable all on V11 & and after some time kill the old V11 ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Basically, the same way you did it for v11: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

TDG wrote: Jun 08, 2023 2:18 pm Thanks Tyler Jurgens. But I don't want to touch the old V11 (It's a mess apart from the NetApp storage snapshot) . I Got the new V12 running nicely & I have recreated all jobs manually & sending a copy to Wasabi. All I wanted to do is configure the new V12 VM with the Fibre Channel passthrough & setup the jobs from new & disable all on V11 & and after some time kill the old V11 ?
Yes, essentially that is what you will need to do. If you keep the old running, e.g., for restores until your new one fully took over, you have to create new pass-through adapters in VMware and zone them properly. Don't forget that you will need to manually add the WWPNs in the igroups on ONTAP to get it to work.
In addition, keep in mind, that the new VBR will not take over the responsibility for your existing ONTAP snapshots, that means, if you shut down the v11 one while there are still snapshots present, that were created by the v11 one, the v12 one will not expire them as it is a new installation, you have to take care manually about it.
That should be about all to remember, other than that its just a new VBR with ONTAP.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
TDG
Enthusiast

Post by TDG »

Thanks Stefan. PCI pass-through adapters in VMware is good ? or we have a better way now ?
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

well that depends on a lot of things.

In general, when I was a field SA, I tried to avoid pass-through and rather went for physical servers being the proxies and having physical FC cards.
I always tried to seperate the backup from the source completely.

For NetApp one thing that would work as well is using iSCSI to backup the data, that would mean you don't need FC at all.
But that of course means having the bandwidth and security for iSCSI availalbe.

Other than that your solution will just work fine as it does today (I guess).
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA