Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam and NetApp SnapMirror - memory snapshot

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

we successfully use Veeam and NetApp Snapmirror. Currently we do some tests and break the mirror to register and start VMs on mirrored datastore which is also successful.
I expected that Veeam creates snapshots with memory of VM, so kinda the real running machine. To my surprise this is not the case, reverting to this snapshot creates an offline machine which needs to reboot.
Is this configurable to create online snapshots in this case? I searched all options within the job, but did not found an fitting switch.

Thank you,
Hans
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam and NetApp SnapMirror - memory snapshot

Post by foggy »

Hi Hans, Veeam B&R does not snapshot a VM memory. You can read here in more detail.
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

thank you. Yeah, it seems to be true that no "online"-snapshot is created. I expected this to have a special benefit by restoring an sql server for example. But it seems to be designated to use aditiona sql-backups to restore sql-data in this case.

So i wonder what is special benefit of this standard Veeam snapshot. I think it just improvs crash consistency.
What do you think?

Thank you,
Hans
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I suggest you get acquainted with the application-aware processing that Veeam B&R performs to ensure transactionally consistent backup of applications, including SQL Server. Should address your concerns.