Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Typical Azure Blob Restore to Azure Performance

Post by PXAbstraction » 1 person likes this post

Hey all.

I have a client who is on v12 and sending copies of their on-prem backups jobs to Azure. They have 7 days of retention for DR purposes. I'm doing test restores of them now and while that process is working, the speeds are less than impressive 45-90MB/sec on average. The restores are being done via an Azure VM that has B&R on it and which I've imported the backups into from the Azure Blob storage. I am restoring directly to Azure VMs, not back to on-prem. There's no Azure Proxy appliance in use, but there shouldn't need to be as I'm restoring from Azure into Azure. Everything's in the same region. This speed isn't bad for smaller VMs, but for larger ones, it's rather brutal. All the data is stored in the Hot tier.

Is this normal behaviour or am I missing something that can help speed this up?

Thanks.
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Re: Typical Azure Blob Restore to Azure Performance

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo » 1 person likes this post

Microsoft appear to have "up to 60MB/s" as their target for data retrieval of a single page of a blob: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure ... ty-targets
I'll leave it up to the fine people at Veeam to describe concurrency and other aspects of this fascinating question.
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Post by PXAbstraction »

Well, that's a bummer. Looks like we may have to rearchitecht this setup to get the RTO where we want it. Wish Veeam made that more clear when they were hyping direct blob storage in v12.
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Post by johan.h »

I am not sure this is typical at all. I've seen people restore VMs from Azure Blob at multiple gigabytes a second, inside Azure of course. This is a physics problem - the speed of reading from blob depends on where the storage account is, what the disk performance profile of the VM you're restoring with is, etc, etc. What Azure VM class have you deployed VBR on and in what region? Some cheap VMs come with relatively poor performance.

That 60MiB/s number is for a single blob. Remember Veeam uses ~1MiB chunks for blocks that are compressed for direct to object and capacity tier. There is a better page to explain storage account performance targets - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure ... rd-account.

You'll see that 120Gbps and 60Gbps are default maximum egress numbers for storage accounts. This will depend on the region, block size used and the workload doing the actual data transfer.