Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Richie Rogers
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Rogers

VBR v12 FSx/File Shares Still No S3 Deep Archive?

Post by Richie Rogers »

Hi,
We've installed Veeam Backup & Restore v12 (and Veeam for AWS v6).
There are jobs configured to backup EC2 instances to S3 with retention to move data to Deep Archive (not working properly, yet - we do have a support ticket raised, but that's not the point of this post).
We can successfully perform file based backups of AWS FSx and NAS storage to S3, but there still seems to be no way of getting that data into Deep Archive.
I've looked at a number of methods (including copy jobs and SOBR with Archive Tier), but none provide the ability to backup to Deep Archive. I know this was an issue prior to v12, but was led to believe this was resolved now.
If, as I suspect, FSx/file share backups can't be written directly or indirectly (via retention/copy jobs) is there another method we can employ (I've seen mention of using AWS Storage Gateway VTL)?
We can't use S3 (such as infrequent access) for long term storage as we have a lot of data that needs retaining for 7 years.

Hoping for a viable suggestion.
Many Thanks,
Richie
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR v12 FSx/File Shares Still No S3 Deep Archive?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Richie

If you want to know about file share backup jobs of Veeam Backup & Replication, archive object storage is not supported for NAS backup jobs.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... positories
Consider the following limitations:
- Amazon S3 Glacier and Azure Blob Storage Archive Tier are not supported for NAS backup.
is there another method we can employ (I've seen mention of using AWS Storage Gateway VTL)
You can try AWS Storage Gateway VTL with File to Tape jobs. But please consider, restoring data may take a long time from AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive (12-48 hours retrieval time). Make sure to have a second copy on a local repository if you have a short RTO. With a File Share backup job to local storage, you can also use Backup to Tape jobs to write existing NAS backups to Tape.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Richie Rogers
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Rogers

Re: VBR v12 FSx/File Shares Still No S3 Deep Archive?

Post by Richie Rogers »

Hi Fabian,
Much appreciate the prompt response.
We have separate backups for our FSx to store in S3 standard for 30 days - the Glacier archive is for our longer term backups that would rarely, if ever, be required, so a slow restore would be fine.
I just need to find some up to date documentation on how to configure the VTL now - not sure if anyone on this forum has done something similar.

Thanks,
Richie