Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Creating VSS snapshot ErrorCode: [0x80042306].

Post by govi »

Hi Team,

Recently we started to get below error on about 9 computers. This issue started around 9th February 2023.

Contacted support and provided all necessary information, infact i requested support to connect and check the issue. Support person connected and checked few things but could not figure out the issue and requested to provide some output. Although 2 times, i provided the logs and support person keeps asking for same information again and again. Looks like he is taking me on a ride!!!

Case # 05877310

Code: Select all

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
I have done all basic troubleshooting like increasing shadow copies size to 30%. deleted shadow copy and created again. But no luck. Even increased vss snapshot size to unlimited.

Interesting thing support person mentioned to me is that Backup software is based in VSS service and we might need to contact Microsoft but he agreed to look into issue. I completely understand that Microsoft dependency issue but as customer, i see that Veeam is failing to do the backup irrespective what service Veeam is using.

Issue faced is Windows 10 Pro 22H2 mostly.

Thanks for helping me out

Govi
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Creating VSS snapshot ErrorCode: [0x80042306].

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Govi,

Sorry to hear that you've faced this issue!
Although 2 times, i provided the logs and support person keeps asking for same information again and again. Looks like he is taking me on a ride!!!
You can contact Veeam support management regarding the case whenever you start loosing confidence in your support engineer.
Interesting thing support person mentioned to me is that Backup software is based in VSS service and we might need to contact Microsoft but he agreed to look into issue.
That is actually true. We rely on Microsoft VSS service to take a snapshot of Windows operating system (for example here is the article for Veeam Agent for Windows) and sometimes this service might be stuck or misbehave. When it happens the only way to troubleshoot is to raise a case with MS folks. Hope it helps!
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hello Dima,

Well I can contact Microsoft but we need to have some concrete evidence that its VSS issue. We have round 300+ laptops which are updated to latest patch and of same version and only 9 are affected.

if its something related windows update or patch all should get affected and i still don't know the root cause of the problem so again i might loose more time in email exchange with MS guys.

As veeam expert,you can point out which are the vss service should run normally so that we don't end-up with VSS error.

Thanks
Govi
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

govi wrote: Feb 21, 2023 9:16 amSupport person connected and checked few things but could not figure out the issue and requested to provide some output. Although 2 times, i provided the logs and support person keeps asking for same information again and again. Looks like he is taking me on a ride!!!
To me, it looks like he's trying to troubleshoot a very environment-specific issue in a 3rd party software which he does not have any means to debug or even look at the source code. Black boxes can only be troubleshoot by feeding them with some input, observing a reaction, and trying to deduce from it what an issue might be. It's indeed a very painful and time consuming process comparing to opening a support case with the actual vendor behind the failing technology and access to its source code.
govi wrote: Feb 21, 2023 9:16 amI completely understand that Microsoft dependency issue but as customer, i see that Veeam is failing to do the backup irrespective what service Veeam is using.
I'm sorry but this is like saying "I see that as my truck's engine is failing to run irrespective what the gas station sold me as a fuel". I'm not saying you're on your own with the issue, but it is logical to open support cases with both of the vendors involved in such situations. Then Ford can troubleshoot its engine, while the gas station can analyze the fuel it sells. Especially in a situation when in your own words, our product works fine on 300+ other laptops while only failing on a few, which would indicate there's no "global" issue with the product itself.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi,

Sorry i was busy with looking into this issue and trying to understand why is it effecting only few computers and i missed all above communication for some reason.

I am not blaming Veeam as product nor Microsoft for the issue. All i wanted from veeam support is to provide necessary information so that i can contact Microsoft. For sure, if I don't go with concrete evidence, it will be very hard for me convince Microsoft and again same question will start why this issue is not effecting 300+ computer and then only to less then 10 computer and I am afraid that as last resort, i have to reinstall all these 10 system again which are located different parts of the world and reinstalling is going to be painful process since we do not have quick way of backing up file. Well i can use file level backup but again that does not give confidence v/s entire computer.

I would have given many example to counter above statement "truck engine" example but i would keep this argument and counter example for the right time!!!!

So let me focus on this issue.

Cheers!!!!

Thanks
Govi
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I think it's reasonable for you to ask our support engineer to provide a small code sample that demonstrates the issue.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Exactly, this is what i am looking for.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi team,

So finally i have an answer from Microsoft and Microsoft went through all system logs and confirmed that its not Microsoft related issue.

I will be sharing detail case study from Microsoft on veeam support ticket and update ticket number here.

Case Number #02814442

Thanks
Govi
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi » 1 person likes this post

HI,

After months of investigation, veeam technical support agent informed us that Manage Engine Endpoint Central Anti-ransomware causing this issue. I believe Anti-ransomware uses vss service from Microsoft and that is causing vss snapshot error. We have not seen this behaviour on all the computers but after disabling Anti-ransomware module, VSS snapshot error disappeared and failing backups are successful.

Manage Engine support team checked and verified this behaviour and provided temp fix(Thursday expected to receive final patch). I am not sure if this fix will be included in next release of Endpoint central.

May be this information will be helpful to those are affected with this error.

I think not all Veeam Technical engineers are aware about this fact since i open 2 different cases and no one was able to tell us. 3rd technical support informed us this and we made some test and information seems to be accurate.

Thanks
Govi.
TRE3
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by TRE3 »

Hi Govi,

one of our customers is experiencing the exact same issue. Did you receive a Veeam hotfix / patch or what was the exact solution?

Tom
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You may want to read what Govi wrote more carefully :)
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

TRE3 wrote: Jun 22, 2023 9:17 am Hi Govi,

one of our customers is experiencing the exact same issue. Did you receive a Veeam hotfix / patch or what was the exact solution?

Tom
Yes, contact Manage Engine, they have prepared fix. Its not been available yet but on request they can provide you
BetterSafeThanSorry
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rudi

Post by BetterSafeThanSorry » 1 person likes this post

It seems that this issue was fixed by ManageEngine in Version 11.2.2325.7 which was released a few Days ago .

See point 5 in the Bug fixes of the releas enotes :

https://www.manageengine.com/products/d ... adme1.html

I hope that this helps solving your issue.

Grtz
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi BetterSafeThanSorry,

Yes, i can see that fix has been included in latest version.

Thanks for the information

Govi