Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Matt.Sharpe
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Matt Sharpe

Storage Snapshot Integration - 3PAR

Post by Matt.Sharpe »

It’s been quiet since I’ve worked with Hyper-V and storage integration. After researching it doesn’t look like storage integration is in line with VMware.

No restore from storage snapshot option,
Backup from storage snapshot is still foggy, is the hardware VSS still the equivalent for this?

Do you still need to manually install the VSS provider on the HV hosts to enable this option?

If we were to use the Veeam server as an off host proxy, would it simply need the Hyper-V role and LUN mapping locally for this feature to work?

Looking for an updated simplification on the latest possibilities with HV and storage integration …
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Storage Snapshot Integration - 3PAR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hardware VSS is "backup from storage snapshots" :-)

There are many discussions around that already and I repeat what I said in other threads: I would avoid off-host proxies if I can. It's how Hyper-V works and we don't expect to see changes here.

The off-host proxy and backup server would be separated. Off-host proxy is a Hyper-V machine and installing applications directly in the Hyper-V parent partition is unsupported by Microsoft (there are also existing threads on that topic)

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: to be fair, I heard that 3par hardware VSS can work. It's not the worst system I heard about. But I would still avoid it if I can.
Matt.Sharpe
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Matt Sharpe

Post by Matt.Sharpe »

Thanks Hannes!

No restore from storage snapshot capability ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

no, not planned. There is not really development from Microsoft on Hyper-V. Technically you could mount a snapshot manually to a Hyper-V machine outside Veeam.