Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
IKPhillips
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Phillips

Microsoft Azure Blob Redundancy

Post by IKPhillips »

Hello.

Currently working with an existing customer who utilizes Veeam for On-premises backup & data protection for a large number of VMs who is looking to migrate in to Azure. For a number of reasons including data retention compliance they are considering the use of the Azure Blob Storage with zonal or regional/zonal replication for the data repositories.

Can you please advise as to the current state of supportability for the use of this feature within Veeam + Azure. I know they could deploy in to two Az regions and replicate the data with one or more backup-copy jobs but this then incures inter-region costs, where as there is no/less costs associated with having the data replicated within the number of zones in one Az region.

Thanks in advance.

IKP
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Microsoft Azure Blob Redundancy

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi IKP

I assume we are talking about ZRS or GRS?
We don‘t have a logic build into Veeam Backup & Replication for Azures replication features. But it should work.

Just two things to consider.
1. GRS has an asynchronious replication into other regions. A failover to that region with blobs not replicated yet will most likely lead to restore and backup failures.
After the failover, the storage account will be converted to a LRS account. To be able to use GRS again, a new initial replication of all data is required. That can cost alot of money for the replication traffic.

2. Azure Replication will replicate blobs with corrupted data in it. It‘s not a independent second copy of your backup. Corrupted backups will be replicated to the second region.

I suggest to do a comparison of costs between our backup copy and using replication of the storage account (GRS). Just to have all the information you need to decide on the correct method for that environment.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software