Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tgx
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Improving Restore Speed

Post by tgx »

I am using VBR 11 and kicked off a full VM restore 2 days ago.
It is a 2.5TB volume VM. Nothing fancy at all. I am seeing a 2MB transfer rate using
nbd. When I kicked the job off I told it to auto-select the transport which I think may
be the source of the slowness as it does not seem to have chosen either of my proxies
(1 Linux, 1 Windows available). At this rate it will run another 3 days. I think I would rather
cancel it and start over but wanted to get some advice when creating the new job.

The restore runs from the Veeam Windows server to vSphere with local nvme storage.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Improving Restore Speed

Post by Mildur »

Hi

Without seeing the log files it's not possible to troubleshoot the restore.
Please open a support case with our customer support team and let them investigate the log files.
They can provide a recommendation on how to optimize your restore speeds.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

Do you have virtual proxies at all? If you do make sure the VM is on the same host as the VM you are restoring/backing up. (best to have one VM for each host and pin it in VMware)

That is really slow. what type of disk are you using?

Autoselect proxy works great when it's configured correctly, If your VMware Management is 1Gbps, be careful as that can get used for operations which will slow things down too.
tgx
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by tgx »

>>Do you have virtual proxies at all?

I have 2, 1 Linux, 1 Windows. The proxies are not on the VMware host, they are standalone servers.

>>That is really slow. what type of disk are you using?
nVme PCIe storage. There are no bottlenecks at the hardware level.

>>Autoselect proxy works great when it's configured correctly, If your VMware Management is 1Gbps, be careful as that can get used for operations which will slow things down too
Vmware Management server is on the same VMware host as the guest being restored so it could be a bottleneck but what is most interesting is VMware's choice of nbd over the two available dedicated proxies. I will run the job again and not use auto and see how it compares.