Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
wallewek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kenneth A Wallewein

Windows waketimers going nuts with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365

Post by wallewek »

Related to Case #07033102 — Workstation waking up from sleep state ever 5 minutes

This is a weird issue that causes Windows 10 to wake up from S3 sleep state literally every few minutes all night long, possible due to interaction between Veeam B&R Community Edition and Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365. And I'm not positive the B&R is necessarily implicated.

I tracked the problem to Veeam-created waketimers, created repeatedly by the Veeam.Archiver.Service and the Veeam.Archiver.Proxy.Service. Stopping those services stops the waketimers, and the system returns to normal sane behaviour.

These services run under Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 and Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft 365. Even when I have scheduled backups turned off at the server console, this keeps happening. Note, I do WANT the system to wake for backups -- once a night, every night. But that's all.

So it appears those services are creating those timers, but I see no Veeam-supported way to stop it or make them behave sanely. Stopping backups at the console does not seem to affect these timers. But there doesn't seem to be a way to control 365 when B&R controls things.

Now, I did install Veeam Agent for Windows 6.0.2.1090 -- Workstation Edition as well as backup for Microsoft 365 on that workstation, using a local swapped hard drive, before installing the central management on the BDR server, and that server did take over the administration of that backup.

So now I’m wondering, is Veeam Community Edition centrally administered backup supposed to be compatible with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365? If so, how is it supposed to be installed and administered?

{BTW, I'm not sure I'm supposed to post this sort of thing here.]
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Windows waketimers going nuts with Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey @wallewek

Thanks for mentioning the case ID. I will request more information around these waketimers, what I assume is that it is caused by one of the tasks that run outside of the backup schedule (like synchronizing (updating) the cache for users/ sites and other AD objects. This is a mechanism that allows jobs to start faster and to query less to your organization. I can't answer if this potentially is the backup server that wakes it up (in that case it will be Veeam Agent that does it automatically based on its settings).

I will try to find out, but if you have a quicker response from support, don't hesitate to mention it here

Thanks
Mike