Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Configuration backup and tape catalog

Post by matteu »

Hello,

My customer ask me what happened if all is lost except tape .
He needs to rebuild VBR server + restore configuration backup.

Does it contains tape catalog or does he need to inventory + catalog all the tapes to restore datas ?

I don't find anything related to it into the documentation. I see catalog is inside database but I don't see anything about what is exactly inside the configuration backup except :

Veeam Backup & Replication exports information about the following objects:

Backup infrastructure components and objects: hosts, servers, backup proxies, repositories, WAN accelerators and jobs, global settings configured on the backup server and so on.
Backups: backups, replicas and backup copies created on the backup server.
Sessions: job sessions performed on the backup server.
Tapes: tape libraries connected to the backup server.

And this : "The configuration backup job creates a snapshot of the configuration database and retrieves data required for successful restore from it. "

=> I don't think entire database is backuped because configuration backup file is really small...

Thanks for your answer.
Net Runner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: Configuration backup and tape catalog

Post by Net Runner »

As far as I remember, the tape only contains information about the particular backup-to-tape job.

If I understand correctly, you are asking whether the Backup-to-tape job also backs up the entire Veeam backup server config. I am pretty sure that it does not, and in general, any backup server is disposable. If you need to backup the backup server configuration, you need to do it manually and place it somewhere outside of the main data center if you are afraid to lose it.

As per the inventory and catalog - Veeam should be able to rescan all the tapes info - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/jp/docs/ba ... ml?ver=110
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your answer.

Not really ^^

I asked if inside configuration backup there is or there is not tape catalog because I know it's stored on databse.
I finally opened veeam support ticket to have the answer and they confirm me I will need to build new veeam server -> restore configuration -> inventory + catalog all veeam tapes :(
There is no built in mechanism to avoid this.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Finally, people from support didn't understand correctly my question.

He nows confirm me catalog tape backup is included during configuration backup and I will not have to perform inventory + catalog on all tapes after restoring it
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Post by MCH_helferlein »

It would be really great if Veeam could implement a feature to export the Tape Catalog Data to a CSV, XLS, or TXT.

Feature Request:

Right-click onto the Tape library --> Export Catalog Data to File