Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Backup job fails after vmotion to different host

Post by davidb1234 »

I am still testing and noticed today that after vmotion of a test VM from one host to another my test backup job is failing because it can't find the VM.

Is this normal? Isn't Veeam supposed to "know" when a VM has vmotioned when you use virtual center?

I can't just select the cluster or vcenter server because I need to be able to specify exclusions and backup order.

I was forced to remove the VM and readd it and set it up from scratch to the same job. Also instead of just picking up with an incremental backup where is left off it forced another full backup of the VM as well... Does this break the restore chain from the incrementals that are still out there?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup job fails after vmotion to different host

Post by foggy »

davidb1234 wrote:I am still testing and noticed today that after vmotion of a test VM from one host to another my test backup job is failing because it can't find the VM.

Is this normal? Isn't Veeam supposed to "know" when a VM has vmotioned when you use virtual center?
David, how do you select VMs to backup in your job? If you use containers such as folders or resource pools that are not changed during vMotion, the job will continue backup the VMs successfully.
davidb1234 wrote:I was forced to remove the VM and readd it and set it up from scratch to the same job. Also instead of just picking up with an incremental backup where is left off it forced another full backup of the VM as well... Does this break the restore chain from the incrementals that are still out there?
You could map the job to existing backup file to avoid full backup of this VM. Your newly created full starts the backup chain from scratch but existing restore points are still valid and can be used for recovery.
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

We have 2 hosts in 1 cluster. We have no resource pools configured or anything special. I selected the VM by clicking ADD, HOSTS AND CLUSTERS, DATACENTER NAME, CLUSTER NAME, VM NAME. Since the container was the cluster I am assuming vmotion should not have impacted the job like it did.

It was a single VM backup job for testing. This morning I vmotioned the VM to the other host. I would have thought the job would have just ran properly but it failed and I have to remove the old VM and readd it the same way.

I used the same job that I had previously made I just removed the VM and readded it. I assume this is the proper procedure unless I missed something. It transferred the full size of the VBK file rather than just the amount for the size of the incremental file generated and the job took longer than the normal incremental run.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

How did you add your ESX hosts to Veeam under Servers? Did you add your hosts directly or did you add your vcenter server?
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

Apparently this is not normal behavior. I opened a support case with VEEAM and have uploaded logs.
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

Cokovic wrote:How did you add your ESX hosts to Veeam under Servers? Did you add your hosts directly or did you add your vcenter server?
I added the vcenter server. Support confirms that the job is correct and using the cluster container however the Veeam can't seem to locate the VM. Support said it could take them awhile though.
gtuthill
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg Tuthill

Post by gtuthill »

Hi There,
Did you get a resolution to this? I have this issue also.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Greg.

I’m wondering how the given VMs have been added to the backup job. Through vCenter or standalone ESXi host?

You should know that only adding VMs to the backup job through vCenter Server connection makes backup/replication job vMotion aware.

Thanks.