Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Feature Request - Manually Move Backups to Archive Tier

Post by HYF_JE »

If there's already a way to do this I'm sorry for not looking hard enough - didn't see an obvious way in the VBR GUI.

Today (I think as of 12.0?), the backups portion of the VBR GUI allows administrators to move disk backups between backup repositories. This is good and makes sense.

The UI allows administrators to copy restore points from the capacity tier to the performance tier. This is good and makes sense.

However, there is no way for an administrator to manually move restore points that are already in the capacity tier to an archive tier if one exists.

Our use case is that we recently setup the archive tier on one of our SOBRs but there doesn't seem to be a way to manually trigger a job to move non-GFS backups (VeeamZips, exports) to an archive. According to the documentation, it appears the archiving job's logic is quite strict, using an and condition across multiple attributes to determine whether a backup should be archived or not. Allowing administrators to create manual exceptions would be very welcomed.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature Request - Manually Move Backups to Archive Tier

Post by Mildur »

Hello HYF

Archive Tier is GFS only. But VeeamZIP and Exports will be moved as well. The archive offload session takes care of those backups.
The retention of a VeeamZIP file or exported backup files must be over the minimal storage period if you have enabled the option <Archive backups only if the remaining retention time is above minimal storage period>.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Feature Request - Manually Move Backups to Archive Tier

Post by HYF_JE »

That's all fine, I (think at least) understand all that. My feature request is for administrators to override Veeam's strict catchment policy irrespective of how bad an idea it might be ($). Throw a warning and mandatory "OK" button logic gate to the administrator if you need to.