Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
RobertoM
Novice
Liked: never

Sharepoint online backup size / last modified date question

Post by RobertoM »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to quickly ask if anyone backing up sharepoint online document libraries has noticed a jump in backup size between Feb 4th and Feb 6th ?
It reminds me of the whole "Microsoft changed an attribute and everything is considered new" situation.

We have many tenants backed up with Veeam, but none has sizeable sharepoint online libraries and I cannot directly compare.

Context: a tenant has a 213 GB document library, almost exclusively small files.
Daily backup with a cloud BaaS solution (not Veeam, and not by our choice :cry: )
Restore point size is around 20-40MB per day, weekly retention is 300-400MB.

Suddenly they burned through all their storage quota with a 30+ GB day and a 50+ GB day after that.

Looking for those 80+ GB I have noticed that the library size for the last 90 days is flat as a pancake.
I have also noticed in the storage metrics that a large number of items have a last modified date of Feb 4th.
Besides most of them being very old files, that day was a Sunday and nobody was working.
Also interesting that the last modified date shown while browsing sharepoint is the correct "old" one.

Also interesting that I am seeing that same Feb 4th date on the storage metrics of other tenants, ours included, on files that are many years old.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?
I don't really care so much about what that particular customer may feel, I am more concerned about fellow system engineers / MSP providers... :wink:
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Sharepoint online backup size / last modified date question

Post by Mildur »

Hello Roberto

I'm personally not aware of a general problem.
You may always open a support case. Our customer support team will be surely aware if multiple customers have reported such issue.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software