Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Quick questions regarding Google Cloud Storage

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Community and good day,

I am seeking technical advice in order to help an existing customer that is looking at replacing their old Tape Library with an immutable Object Storage based repository in the cloud. One of the requirements from the customer side is that the public cloud object storage provider they will be using is Google Cloud storage.

Regarding Immutability, if I remember correctly you will support it as soon as Google Cloud Storage will support object-level lock.

Now regarding the choice between using Direct Copy to object storage or a Scale-Out Backup Repository, although the protected environment is relatively small (currently under 50 workloads), I personally like the possibility of archiving GFS backups to a cheaper archive tier the more they age out, so I would prefer using a Scale-Out Backup Repository over Direct Copy to object storage. In fact, the different storage tiers reminds me of the different sets of tapes that are currently being rotated.

Now the million dollar question :D , should we expect Veeam to support a Google Cloud Storage Archive storage class suitable for the Scale-Out Backup Repository archive tier somewhere in the future ?

Any information on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Massimiliano
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Quick questions regarding Google Cloud Storage

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Massimiliano. In future, yes. This has not been a huge priority because relatively few customers use Google Cloud Storage in general. Thanks
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hi there Anton,

thank you very much for the information !

Kind regards,

Massimiliano
christaylor88
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: chris taylor

[MERGED] Feature Request: Google Cloud Archive tier

Post by christaylor88 »

Hi everybody. We are looking at maybe using Google Cloud Object Storage for Veeam backups of our VMware infrastructure. Right now all that's supported is Nearline and Standard classes as tiers. We’d like to see Archive added as a supported tier. Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Chris

I have moved your request to the existing topic.
Please see Anton's answer.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
christaylor88
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: chris taylor

Post by christaylor88 »

I think we're going to see more customers and large enterprises using Google Cloud Storage soon- just my personal view, we had a good experience working with GCP for an archiving project at my company. They went head-to-head with AWS and Azure and came out on top- it's working really well for us technically as well as from a cost perspective.