Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
chiller15
Novice
Liked: never

Mixing Physical & Virtual Backups

Post by chiller15 »

We have been using Veeam B&R for many years to backup our 15 VMware VMs. We were initially advised that if we wanted to backup our workstations and our physical DC, we would need an additional license or use the Community Edition installed on another server. However, I've also read the opposite and now I'm confused.

We have Veeam B&R v12.1.0.2131 with a perpetual license for the "Standard" edition, with the package "Backup", sockets saying "4 (4 used)" and instances saying "4 (0 used)".

I have noticed that in the licensing page, on the Instances tab (which doesn't have anything listed, and pressing the "Manage" button also shows an empty list with the "assign" and "remove" buttons greyed out), there is a check box for "Allow unlicensed agents to consume instances", which has been left unchecked. From my reading, checking this box would allow non-licensed agents to backup - however I'm confused as to what this means.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to remove the Community Edition from the other server and bring all backups (including existing virtual and at least 3x physical machines, one being a DC) under the control of the one console.

Can anyone offer clarification on whether I am able to do this within my license, that would be great.
JGM2023
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: JGM

Re: Mixing Physical & Virtual Backups

Post by JGM2023 »

This means that It would allow an agent that Is connected to VBR to consume a "license" which will be a Instance license. So I expect this Is what you are trying to achieve.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 » 1 person likes this post

socket=unlimited vms as long they are on the licensed hypervisor
4 instances= for example 4x1x VAW in server mode or 4x3x VAW in workstation mode.
So you are good to i guess, right?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi @chiller15,

This guy Veeams.
We have been using Veeam B&R for many years to backup our 15 VMware VMs. We were initially advised that if we wanted to backup our workstations and our physical DC, we would need an additional license or use the Community Edition installed on another server. However, I've also read the opposite and now I'm confused.
Keep in mind that usage of paid and Community licenses together is prohibited by the licensing policy.

<...> and instances saying "4 (0 used)".
Those are "Gifted Instances".

I have noticed that in the licensing page, on the Instances tab (which doesn't have anything listed, and pressing the "Manage" button also shows an empty list with the "assign" and "remove" buttons greyed out), there is a check box for "Allow unlicensed agents to consume instances", which has been left unchecked. From my reading, checking this box would allow non-licensed agents to backup - however I'm confused as to what this means.
As the previous poster said - checking this box will allow agents (VAL/VAW/VAM only, VAU requires Enterprise Plus) to consume available instances. Without that checkbox selected you won't be able to use Agent backup jobs on your VBR.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to remove the Community Edition from the other server and bring all backups (including existing virtual and at least 3x physical machines, one being a DC) under the control of the one console.
Not sure what you want to do, please elaborate.

Bottomline: you current socket license allows you to backup as many VMs as you can fit into a VMware server with 4 sockets, plus 4 physical servers (1 server per instance) OR 12 workstations (3 workstation per instance) OR a mix of those (1 instance per every server and 1 instance per every 3 workstations).

Thanks!