Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Move repository path in v12

Post by infraerik »

Question for a client site. They have a Windows Server based repository that is at the root of the drive F: currently using about 13TB of 30 available.

I need to create a second repository on this system on the same disk. What I'm thinking of is creating a new repository at F:\NewRepo and then using the Move Backups feature in v12 to do this. But I'm not what the data path will be in this case - will it copy the files via the network over the loopback interface or is it smart enough to do a local file move?

Or would I be better off using the old method of creating my new folder, moving the files locally in Windows Explorer and then registering the new Repository at this file path and rescanning (and updating the job destination etc.)
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 329 times

Re: Move repository path in v12

Post by david.domask »

Hi infraerik,

When the Veeam source and target datamovers (veeamagent.exe) are on the same server, they will use SharedMemory for the connection between them.

In your case, I would use the manual moving as your proposed solution introduces an unsupported scenario:
Note

Consider the following:

Do not configure multiple backup repositories pointing to the same location or using the same path.
Do not configure multiple backup repositories with "nested" paths (when one repository path is a sub-path of another repository), for example:

/mnt/repo/backups/
/mnt/repo/backups/production
So I would do it manually so you can avoid having a situation where you have one repository nested within another, and remove the original repository from Veeam completely before adding the new one.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by infraerik »

Thanks @david.domask - that's pretty much what I'd figured. And the nested repository scenario is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2314 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you are on v12.1 and you want to move backup files within the same volume, we will use native file system functionality to move the backup files to the new location. Which would mean we don't have to "copy" the backup files :)

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_12_1 ... new_wn.pdf
Move backup improvements — VeeaMover will now detect if both source and target backup
repositories reside on the same storage volume, in which case it will leverage native file system
functionality for near-instant data movement
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software