Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

NAS Job - Secondary destination or Archive Repository

Post by bg.ranken »

We have a requirement to start to store long-term NAS backups for 7 years. Currently we are only retaining 30 days on-prem, but we'd like to store a copy of it within Azure as well as the 7 years long-term retention (keeping 30 days on-prem still). From my understanding NAS backups do not currently support archiving to Azure Archive Tier, and we can only send to hot or cold storage accounts.

My question is in regards to how to accomplish this. It seems I can create a secondary target and set the retention to 84 months, and Veeam now allows you to send directly to Azure Blob storage for this secondary target. However, we can also accomplish the same thing with the Archive Repository, by enabling the "Archive recent file versions" and setting "Archive previous file versions for 7 years".

Which of these methods is the "better" method? If there is ever going to be support for Azure Archive Tier in the future, which method is most likely to support this? I'm assuming that would be the Archive Repository, but would be curious if that's true or not.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2337 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: NAS Job - Secondary destination or Archive Repository

Post by Mildur »

Hi Randall
Which of these methods is the "better" method? If there is ever going to be support for Azure Archive Tier in the future, which method is most likely to support this? I'm assuming that would be the Archive Repository, but would be curious if that's true or not.
Unfortunately I can't answer these questions today. First we have to plan this feature and start with the implementation before we can provide correct information. Both didn't happened yet.
It seems I can create a secondary target and set the retention to 84 months, and Veeam now allows you to send directly to Azure Blob storage for this secondary target. However, we can also accomplish the same thing with the Archive Repository, by enabling the "Archive recent file versions" and setting "Archive previous file versions for 7 years".
Restore from Archive comes with limitations. I suggest to use backup copy to a secondary target.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Re: NAS Job - Secondary destination or Archive Repository

Post by bg.ranken »

@Mildur,

I found another thread where Hannes made a comparison chart (post509192.html#p509192). I'm not quite sure what Transparent failover is, but it would seem we lose that as well as self healing (data & metadata) at the gains of the better restorability of backup copy. Do you think these tradeoffs are worth it?