Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Systemagic
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Systemagic Ltd.

Backup Solution for EXSi

Post by Systemagic »

Hi guys,

We are an IT support company for small businesses and we have very recently taken on a new client that runs a couple of ESXi servers with VMs.
The previous IT company had told them that they were 'backing up everything offsite' but when we took over the first thing I checked was the backup. There was none, with nothing that would survive in the event of a fire or flood (flood scenario has happened there before!).

They are running:
1x ESXi 5.0.0 server (vSphere 5 Hypervisor) - Running two Windows Server 2008 Virtual Machines
1x ESXi 5.0.0 server (vSphere 5 Hypervisor) - Running one Windows Server 2008 Virtual Machine
1x Windows Server 2003
1x Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server

We've taken over and would like to get a backup plan sorted out, something with removable disks so that they can be rotated and taken off site.

I was hoping for some advice, I was told Veeam is the way to go.
What hardware and software would I need?

Many thanks in advance,

Arran
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Solution for EXSi

Post by foggy »

Arran, first of all, I must say that ESXi free is not supported by Veeam B&R (VMware limitation, more info here). So in order to backup with our product you must have at least a VMware vSphere Essentials (any paid VMware license, actually).

Going further, there are multiple ways you can offload backups to removable disks either automatically with the help of post-job activity or manually. A lot of existing topics on different scenarios on this forum and here is one of them.

Also, if you want to use rotated external drives as destination targets for your jobs, please take this into account.

Thanks!