Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Livid
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed

Automatic action on restart

Post by Livid »

Hi all,

Just wondering how people with a standby server handle this setting, I have just performed our first replication and all has gone well but I want to make sure that if our standby server restarts for w/e reason - bsod, power cut, cleaner unplugging it ;) that the standby VM's don't autostart and start messing up the network (roaming profiles, AD etc).

I have changed it on the standby server in Hyper-V Management to not auto start on power restore but does this setting get overwritten each time the replication happens or will it remain as we set it ?

Cheers

Livid
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Automatic action on restart

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ed,

Do you mean that all your replicated VMs have been set to auto start? What setting do you have configured on the source VMs? Btw, what is your destination target? Cluster or standalone host?

Thanks!
Livid
Novice

Post by Livid »

We have autostart enabled on source VM's, we are replicating to standalone server.
Livid
Novice

Post by Livid »

I'm thinking of using the pshyper-v library and running a script to iterate through the VM's on the standby server and just mark them as do not startup at boot each time we replicate to the standby server.

If there are any other suggestions I'd be interested / maybe its an option for another version of veeam ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh got it, for some reason I assumed that all your replicated VMs have been set to auto start while your source VMs were configured with the opposite setting. :)

As to your original question, I have googled for available workarounds and found out that many Hyper-V users are using PowerShell scripts to automate this process (setting autostart action to none).

Here are some examples of these scripts, please have a look:
http://jeffwouters.nl/index.php/2011/08 ... n-hyper-v/
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/vir ... ell-141165
trafsta
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by trafsta »

Did you ever get this to work via a script Livid? I am about to start trying, and will report here if I get it going nicely.
trafsta
Enthusiast

Post by trafsta »

I've had no luck getting either of the scripts above to work. Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to get this to work? I'm worried that a power outage, etc, might take out our DR servers which have the Hyper-V replicas on it, and upon power being restored the replica VMs will all start up automatically. I have for the time being set all the replicated VMs to be set to go to a "Private Network" so that they do not conflict with real production VMs should they ever get started up upon DR Hyper-V server reboot, but it would really also be excellent to be able to run a script after the replication job finishes that can set all the VMs to "Automatic Start Action: Nothing"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Looks like this issues is addressed in the upcoming 6.1 release.
trafsta
Enthusiast

Post by trafsta »

Good to hear Gostev. Any approximate ETA on this? (that is, days, weeks, or months?). If it's many weeks or months away they I'll have to figure out a workaround for now. If its < 2 weeks away then I'll try to live with the risk for now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

More than 2 weeks away.