Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
sistemas01
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sistemas

alarms for guest

Post by sistemas01 »

Hello,

I was testing some alarms predefined on Veeam ONE 6, free version.
As long I can see, all the alarms are predefined to send an email to a group, which is predefined on server settings.

I found that when I test the CPU usage alarm, I got an email. But neither the shutdown or the reboot guest alarm send any email.
Why this is happening?

Thank you.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Re: alarms for guest

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Hi,

By default, "VM guest reboot" and "VM guest shutdown" alarms are pre-defined as event based. Do you see these alarms on Alarms tab of your virtual server?

Thanks,
VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Vitaliy is correct, you need to make sure these events/alarms are captured by your vCenter Server. If you do see these events, then our predefined alarms should be fired off.
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 »

Hello,

thank you for your answer.
Now I defined the alarms "guest reboot" and "guest OS shutdown", fired by event, at level of cluster, for virtual machines (not Advances Conditions defined). In both cases I would get an email when the status change from green to yellow, and from yellow to red.
Then, inside a virtualized XP I execute the command "shutdown -r -t 1". The VM is rebooted, but I didn't get any email from vSphere Center or Veeam Monitor.

What else can I do?

Thank you.

Update!: I got an email when I defined the alarm "VM powered off". In this case I received an alarm email when I shutdown the VM using the command "shutdown -s -t 1". But the alarm received came from Vcenter, and not from Veeam Monitor.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

You have specified these two alarms in vCenter server using vSphere client, right? When you shutdown or reboot a VM, do you see an alarm on vCenter server's Alarms tab (in vSphere client)?

- VM.
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 »

Yes, I see the alarm but just in the caso I shutdown the VM. And in this case is when I receive an email form vSphere server, but not from Veeam Monitor.

I still wasn't be able to figure out how to get an alarm in case of rebooting the VM...
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

Well, do you see an alarm in Veeam ONE Monitor client -> Alarms tab (for the VI object you are monitoring)?

- VM.
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 »

No, there isn't an alarm related with the shutdown of the VM on Veeam Monitor (and currently the VM is powered off, and I got an email from vSphere alerting me of this state).
Please, check the following screenshot: the VM is called XPtest.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov » 1 person likes this post

By default, "VM guest shutdown" alarm uses "VmGuestShutdownEvent" event to trigger a notification. "VmGuestShutdownEvent" event is defined for "Guest OS shut down for XXX..." event substring. Thus, if you do not see this event in Veeam ONE Monitor client then "VM guest shutdown" will never arise.

Let me give you more details on what is going on behind the scene:
When you initiate a "Shutdown Guest OS" task, then "Guest OS shut down" event appears in vCenter server's events list with the following description:

Code: Select all

"Guest OS shut down for {vm_name} on {host_name} in {datacenter_name}"
Then Veeam ONE Monitor receives this event during common data collection process, and you should see "VmGuestShutdownEvent" event in Veeam ONE Monitor with the same description as mentioned above.
Once Veeam ONE Monitor has received the event, then "VM guest shutdown" alarm arises and sends you an email notification. Nothing special at all. :D

I am sure you DO see all these events within your environment, but...there is one special alarm configuration option exist in Veeam ONE Monitor. If you are adding event-based rules, you can additionally specify alarm suppression settings. In the "Ignore after" field, enter the number of times the alarm can fire before all further repetitive alarms are suppressed. By default, this value is set to 1, which means that the alarm will fire only once and all further events informing about problems based on event specified will be ignored until you resolve the alarm that has already fired. I think this might be the reason why you do not even see "VM guest shutdown" alarms in Veeam ONE Monitor client.

If you'd like to receive notifications for ALL VM guest shutdown attempts, then I would recommend you setting "Ignore After" optin to "0" for corresponding event-based rules.

Thanks,
VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

sistemas01 wrote:Now I defined the alarms "guest reboot" and "guest OS shutdown", fired by event, at level of cluster, for virtual machines (not Advances Conditions defined).
I still wasn't be able to figure out how to get an alarm in case of rebooting the VM...
Make sure you specify the correct event names/triggers for your alarm rules.

Here is the list of existing event names that should be used in custom alarms creation, please check it out: http://www.veeam.com/support/vcEvents.html
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 »

Thank you Vitaly, but I'm afraid we are talking of different alarms.
I.e., I activated the alarms "guest os shutdown" and "guest reboot" on vSphere cliente (at cluster level), but they doesn't work if I shutdown/reboot the OS using the command "shutdown" from inside that OS. In this case I don't get any email neither from vSphere or Veeam.
I only receive emails from these alarms if I reboot/shutdown the VM using the vSphere client.

So, I defined the event alarm "VM powered off". From this alarm I get an email from vSphere when I shutdown the VM from the OS, using the command "shutdown". But I don't get any email from Veeam.

On my vSphere client 4.1 there isn't any alarm called "VM guest shutdown" (as far I can see). So, on the list of events from the cluster I see alarms like this:

Alarm 'VM powered off' on XPTest sent email to email@email.com;
info
08/05/2012 10:15:52
XPTest

and I know they are not the kind of alarm you told me above.
But, I'm using the free version of Veeam ONE Monitor, and ALL alarms are activated without any suppress configuration (they should be activated during all time that the VM's status is changed).

UPDATE: I created two new alarms event based, using the events "VmGuestRebootEvent" and "VmGuestRebootEvent", and I got the same behavior as before: I get an email from vSphere when I shutdown the VM from the OS, using the command "shutdown". But I don't get any email from Veeam. I don't get any emails when I reboot the OS.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

sistemas01 wrote:I.e., I activated the alarms "guest os shutdown" and "guest reboot" on vSphere cliente (at cluster level), but they doesn't work if I shutdown/reboot the OS using the command "shutdown" from inside that OS. In this case I don't get any email neither from vSphere or Veeam.
I only receive emails from these alarms if I reboot/shutdown the VM using the vSphere client.
I'm a bit confused with your description here...vSphere Client alarms and Veeam ONE alarms are not connected to each other, Veeam ONE Monitor generates its own alarms based on the configured rules.

Do you receive alarms from vSphere Client only or from Veeam ONE Monitor too?
sistemas01 wrote:So, I defined the event alarm "VM powered off". From this alarm I get an email from vSphere when I shutdown the VM from the OS, using the command "shutdown". But I don't get any email from Veeam.
In Veeam ONE "VM power status" alarm is disabled by default. Please verify its current status in Veeam ONE Monitor Client.
sistemas01 wrote:UPDATE: I created two new alarms event based, using the events "VmGuestRebootEvent" and "VmGuestRebootEvent", and I got the same behavior as before: I get an email from vSphere when I shutdown the VM from the OS, using the command "shutdown". But I don't get any email from Veeam. I don't get any emails when I reboot the OS.
You've mentioned that you're using Veeam ONE free edition, but in this version you cannot create new alarms, only existing alarms list can be used.

I believe you're trying to create these alarms in vSphere Client, right?
sistemas01 wrote:But, I'm using the free version of Veeam ONE Monitor, and ALL alarms are activated without any suppress configuration (they should be activated during all time that the VM's status is changed).
In this case I would suggest to contact our support team to see if these events are captured by your Veeam ONE Monitor server: "VmGuestRebootEvent" and "VmGuestRebootEvent".

If you do have these events in the Event tab in Veeam ONE Monitor Client, then the corresponding alarms should also be there.

Thanks!
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 »

I'm a bit confused with your description here...vSphere Client alarms and Veeam ONE alarms are not connected to each other, Veeam ONE Monitor generates its own alarms based on the configured rules.

Do you receive alarms from vSphere Client only or from Veeam ONE Monitor too?
Yes, you're right: I'm setting alarms on vSphere, because I can't do it on the free version of Veeam. And because you told me that Veeam is able to detect alarms defined on vSphere.
In this case, only for shutdown, I got emails from vsphere, but not from Veeam. In the case of "reboot", I didn't got any email neither from vSphere or Veeam.

And so, I think this is the finish of the case: I gonna try to contact technical support of Veeam to get a solution to this issue.

Thank you very much for all your help!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

sistemas01 wrote:And because you told me that Veeam is able to detect alarms defined on vSphere.
I never said that ;) Veeam ONE is not aware about alarms defined in vSphere Client.

We have our own extended list of predefined alarms (all alarms you've been trying to create in vSphere Client are already pre-created in v6).
sistemas01
Novice

Post by sistemas01 » 1 person likes this post

Indeed, you said that Veeam is able to fire alarms by detecting events defined on vSphere (or at least that's what I understood). So, I supposed that defining alarms fired by events on vSphere client would be enough to get alarms from Veeam. But I didn't took on consideration that perhaps the free version of Veeam hasn't defined all the possibles alarms. :)
raphael@schitz.net
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by raphael@schitz.net »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Here is the list of existing event names that should be used in custom alarms creation, please check it out: http://www.veeam.com/support/vcEvents.html
Hi Vitaliy,

Do you know if this very usefull list will be updated for vsphere 5.1 ?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Raphael,

Let me check it with the team responsible for maintaining this list. I will post back once I have more details.

Thanks!