Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dsimpkins
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel

Veeam vPower NFS service started and the stopped

Post by dsimpkins »

Hi, Im having problems with a Veeam proxy server, when im trying to start the vPower NFS service i get an error "Veeam vPower NFS Service service started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".

I believe this service was originally set to start on Windows startup, but I had to disable it due to it preventing the OS from loading.

I've looked at all the threads with great detail that refer to issues with conflicting ports, so im 97% sure that is not my issue. My main question is how do I uninstall and reinstall this service that keeps crashing? i have 3 Veeam proxies and this is the only one that is an issue. Im concerned that if i go deleting things i'll cause bigger problems. can I simply remove the server from the list of proxy servers and then re-add it again?

help greatly appreciated. I don't think im using vPower NFS but I dont want the error to be there!

Daniel
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Re: Veeam vPower NFS service started and the stopped

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
from veeam backup server are you able to communicate with the proxy and vise versa from proxy to veeam server by name and IP Address without any issue?

Remove the configuration settings of any Backup Job pinted to that proxy.
Remove it from the proxy role
Remove from Windows Servers.

These steps will communicate to the server and will remove any roles that installed on the machines.

if not, then there must be another issues which preventing you from doing that. If its Windows 2008 R2, make sure - Under Network and Sharing Center, Change Advanced Sharing Settings open each profile Home or Network, Public and Domain and make sure the following are turned on in each profile;

1.Turn on Network Discovery, to turn it on you will require a dependencies services to be on
DNS Client
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Discovery

2. Turn on File and Print Sharing
3.Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write.

Please post back the result.

Thanks,
dsimpkins
Influencer

Post by dsimpkins »

habibalby wrote:Hello,
from veeam backup server are you able to communicate with the proxy and vise versa from proxy to veeam server by name and IP Address without any issue?

Remove the configuration settings of any Backup Job pinted to that proxy.
Remove it from the proxy role
Remove from Windows Servers.

These steps will communicate to the server and will remove any roles that installed on the machines.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes the backup server (the main one?) is communicating with the proxy as i beleive some of my backup jobs are using the proxy to backup, and doing so successfully. Let me try the above advice first (thanks again for that) and i'll let you know how it went! Thanks again
Daniel
dsimpkins
Influencer

Post by dsimpkins »

I've spent all morning removing the proxy & all associated elements, then recreating everything. It all seems better now - so thanks for your help, I believe the issue was as I originally said, the actual service on the proxy had some form of corruption, and the process of removing the proxy (at your suggestion) did the trick and removed the service. Then I simply re-added the server immediately, it added the services again, and after recreating about 20 backup & replica jobs, it's currently backing up again. I'd say 6.1 seems a bit quicker too... but maybe that's because during the whole process I changed some settings that seemed a bit restrictive.

All in all, whilst it was a job that the people who originally implemented it for us should have solved for me rather than me having to waste days on, I'm relatively happy that my data is being backed up again!

thanks for your help. :)