Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
peste
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan Petershofer

vSphere 5 Replicate Autoplay during HotAdd ?!

Post by peste »

Hello,

i have a question. I have installed veeam B&R 6.1 on a W7 Pro 64-Bit Machine and when i start a replication job (i know the Backup Server docks on the VM) after a while the autoplay of all added partitions of the VM starts. With the last job i used from this machine (only to a external HDD and not to a NAS like now) it don´t happened. It also don´t happens on every single 2k8 server with veeam i have out there. Maybe on a 2k8 server it´s deactivated. But is this ok ? When i go into the disk manager i see the old vmdk (with its partitions) and a new (which windows wants to initialize :)). Allright - just deactivate autorun function or is there anything wrong ?

Regards,
Stefan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vSphere 5 Replicate Autoplay during HotAdd ?!

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stefan,

Could you please give us a bit more details about the behavior you observe?

Keep in mind that when you're using HotAdd backup mode, virtual disks of the VMs you're backing up are mounted to the backup proxy, this allows to retrieve VM data directly from storage IO stack. Is this what you see while running the backup job?
peste wrote:Allright - just deactivate autorun function or is there anything wrong ?
As far as I remember "automount" should be automatically disabled on the Veeam backup proxy servers.

Thanks!
peste
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan Petershofer

Post by peste »

Hello Vitaly,

thanks for your fast reply. Yes i think this is what i observed. I just wondered, since this is not my first veeam Installation. But before i think it were all Windows 2008 Servers which have done the job of the Backup Server and Proxy. I wondered a bit more since i drove another replicate job of this machine earlier (few days ago) and there Windows don´t asked me what to do (Autoplay Window). Is the Autoplay disabled normally by veeam ? So i think it just don´t happened. Watching another machine today during Replication (and i know this thing about adding the disk - on another time i wanted to copy an VM which played Backup Server exactly during a backup and its size grewd from 88GB to 2.8TB cause it got a big server added :)) and watch whats happening there.

EDIT: It also happens during normal backup - look here http://www.imagebanana.com/view/hiaw6w4n/autoplay.JPG

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, please follow these instructions to disable "automount" and re-run your backup/replication job, should help:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx