Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

Possible to create a clone from a snapshot?

Post by soylent »

I need to create a clone VM from a snapshot. Is this possible using SureBackup or some other method in Veeam?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Possible to create a clone from a snapshot?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Max,

Could you please clarify your question as I do not understand what you're trying to do... Do you want to create a replica of the VM which is running on the snapshot?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

VM Copy and any other Veeam job picks up the most current VM state (as hypervisor sees it). So if you want to clone the latest state, then you can use any job at all.
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

Post by soylent »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Max,

Could you please clarify your question as I do not understand what you're trying to do... Do you want to create a replica of the VM which is running on the snapshot?

Thanks!
We wanted a clone because we were about to install applications on the VM, so we wanted to keep a "clean" image in case we had to do it over. But instead, we did a snapshot, which has now grown too large.

The problem is that we still need both a clean VM and the current state. So we can't revert, delete or consolidate the current snapshot. My only idea was to clone the current VM (which would automatically consolidate the snapshot), and make the clone the production server. Then I would revert the snapshot on the original VM, making it the "original". But this would take a lot of downtime.

Can Veeam make this task a little easier than using the vCenter method?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

Theoretically, the following should work - shutdown the VM, and copy "base" VMDK and all other VM files (except snapshot files) with FastSCP functionality (Files tab in the new 6.1 UI). Then, manually edit VMX to remove references to snapshot files. Should work!
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If you play a bit with CID chains, you can basically create a VM state at every snapshot point in time. There are many tutorial and articles on how to do it.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1