Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
skydok
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 12 times

U-AIR SharePoint & Deduplication on Exchange & SQL

Post by skydok »

i have a 2 small question :
regarding this article http://www.veeam.com/vmware-backup/help ... ethods.htm
specific the line "Veeam Backup & Replication does not store zero byte blocks or space that has been pre‑allocated but not used. With deduplication, identical blocks or blocks of free space are eliminated"

I understand it doesn't backup the ZERO BLOCKS , but does it also take in consideration the "white space " of exchange ? or the Free space in the SQL Transaction log ?

2.U-AIR for Sharepoint, i heardalot on veeam sharepoint single items and that it can do the same as in Exchange /AD/SQL
but does it really ? i mean if so why isn't there a deticated Addon like in the other 3.

thank you
Veeam FAN
@shatztal
Blog: http://www.terasky.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: U-AIR SharePoint & Deduplication on Exchange & SQL

Post by Gostev »

1. If "white space" is zeroed blocks, then they are not backed up. If they are dirty blocks, then they will be backed up.
2. Because unlike AD/Exchange/SQL, SharePoint itself provides a very convenient UI to restore items. This is all SharePoint is about anyway - providing nice web portal for you to easily find and retrieve items ;)
skydok
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 12 times

Post by skydok »

2. So with the U-AIR i will be able to open the Web Restore of Sharepoint without connecting to the console ? or would it need me to connect to console and restore from there somehow?

1. i know exchange well but never thought about the whitespace block type until now.i will check with Microsoft.

as always you have an answer for everything :)
Veeam FAN
@shatztal
Blog: http://www.terasky.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

skydok wrote:2. So with the U-AIR i will be able to open the Web Restore of Sharepoint without connecting to the console ? or would it need me to connect to console and restore from there somehow?
You can use both ways. What Veeam B&R does is just runs isolated virtual lab with the required VMs from the backups. Once the lab is ready, you can connect to the application in the VM using native tools (or web browser, if the application has web front end) to recover the items you need - or, you can open the VM console using vSphere Client, and recover from there.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

foggy wrote:or, you can open the VM console using vSphere Client, and recover from there.
This probably won't work - how are you going to get the data into the production environment considering complete isolation? You cannot establish connections from vLab into production network. Unless I am missing something simpe and stupid like copy/paste in vSphere Client (don't have a lab handy to check if it has this functionality).

First approach does not have this issue, because the connection to vLab VM is established from the production environment in the first place.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Gostev wrote:This probably won't work - how are you going to get the data into the production environment considering complete isolation? You cannot establish connections from vLab into production network. Unless I am missing something simple and stupid like copy/paste in vSphere Client (don't have a lab handy to check if it has this functionality).
Something stupid could be to recover items locally, share the folder and then access it from production. :)

Also it should be noted, that to make other computers able to access VMs in the lab, you should configure its static mapping accordingly (by default, only backup server has access to VMs in the lab).