Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
umenz
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

a moved vdmk File used really CBT after this move ?

Post by umenz »

Hello,

i have dettached a vdmk File an moved to another Datastore and reassigned it to the VM.
since this: the Replication Job reads every run 300GB of 500GB, but transfers only 30GB. Problem is it needs 5h each run.

In the Job Monitor is (CBT) visible at the end of the Line.

Is this procedere to move a file supported ?

regs

Ulrich

P.S. B&R6.1 with Patch
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: a moved vdmk File used really CBT after this move ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ulrich,

Could you please tell me if you've also moved the corresponding CTK files which are responsible for CBT to the new datastores?

Thanks!
umenz
Enthusiast

Post by umenz »

Hi Vitaly,

i moved only the vdmk file. mistake ?
But i can see no xxx-ctk.vdmk at the old place. At the new store a xxx-ctk.vdmk exist.
Today the read Size was grow to 360GB in 5.5h

can i reset the CBT only for this File ? - reason is i have 3 Datafiles (6TB) attached to this vm and a initial Backup + Replication needs some days.
thanks Ulrich
umenz
Enthusiast

Post by umenz »

Hi Vitaliy,

today read 1GB and is done in 2 Minutes, both Backup and the Replication Job. B&R works fine.

On this volume is the LOG db from our MS SQLserver placed. And the database Kollegues are not working on Satureday.
So it looks that SQL Server ist working on many different Blocks without filling the Volume. Only 30GB of 500GB is used and ~300GB ist every day the Read with activated CBT.

Thanks

Ulrich
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ulrich,
umenz wrote:i moved only the vdmk file. mistake ?
No, it is not a mistake, since your VM is still fully operational after relocation. Be aware that If you do not relocate CTK files, Veeam B&R will send an API call to re-enable CBT for your VM on the next job runs.
umenz wrote:So it looks that SQL Server ist working on many different Blocks without filling the Volume. Only 30GB of 500GB is used and ~300GB ist every day the Read with activated CBT.
Yes, even simple antivirus scans change virtual disk blocks, which in turn results in large increments. Please take a look at the existing topic for more details on this: Large VIB file on a small static server

Thanks!